​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crossing Loch Affric and on to Cougie?

Hi everyone!
We were hoping that one of you experienced challengers could help out with a teensy routing question. Hope this is the right place to ask!

Our vetter suggested walking on the north side of Loch Affric as it's supposed to be way more enjoyable.
However, we definitely want to go via Cougie so need to cross fairly early to the south side of the Loch(s).
As far as we've read, the footbridge at Affric Lodge is on private land and should not be used. Or is there an exception for the challenge?

The next option to cross is at the car park right before Loch Beinn a'Mheadhoin, and we were thinking of following the track east for about a mile and then cross south along the Allt an Laghair to Loch nan Gillean, so we don't have to loop back. From the maps and satellite pics it looks quite doable, but there is a worrying thin black line that might be a deer fence? Does anyone have experience with that route and can tell if it would work?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Crossing Loch Affric and on to Cougie?

Hi Ramona

I have a couple of close up pictures of that area (and the deer fence) taken when I was having a look at the little crags on Creag na Caillich - looking for climbs.
The ground by the Allt nan Laghair is rough heather, the fence was easy enough to climb. I'll post the pictures for you on the facebook page. Overall it might be easier loop around by the track but your way would be more adventurous.

Willie

Hi Willie,

first of all, thank you very much for the pictures, which we received!
I am not a short person, but this fence looks like it might be taller than me! :D Not sure how I would cross this thing without doing damage to either it or myself... I'm sure there's an art to it, but I am an absolute novice in all things deer fence.

Thanks again for your help!
Ramona

This is Phil Lambert & Mick Coady from 2001, taken with my back to the deer fence you mention. We were encouraged to try the route you mention by a Justly Distinguished Vetter.

We wondered at the time what we had done to upset him...

Though looking back with hindsight, it wasn't that bad compared to a lot of the scrapes we've got ourselves into.

TIP: Keep to ground away from the stream, as it's a bit gorgey. Boggy, but less gorgey.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Alan Sloman

This is Phil Lambert & Mick Coady from 2001, taken with my back to the deer fence you mention. We were encouraged to try the route you mention by a Justly Distinguished Vetter.

We wondered at the time what we had done to upset him...

Though looking back with hindsight, it wasn't that bad compared to a lot of the scrapes we've got ourselves into.

TIP: Keep to ground away from the stream, as it's a bit gorgey. Boggy, but less gorgey.

:slightly_smiling_face:

HOLY @~*&% Lord Elpus looks young.

I never realised he was EVER that young 😨

Hi Alan,

thank you for your reply! Haha, that sounds like it was type 2 fun.
We are playing it really safe with our route, but I guess dealing with the unknown and surprising is what a challenge is for. Looks like you definitely enjoyed the route. :)

Ramona,

I can't help you on the north side of the loch, but have walked the south side of the loch twice, both times in glorious sunshine on easy trails with lovely views over the loch and enjoyed it immensely. I guess I'm not as adventurous as your vetter!

Whichever side of the loch you come down, the path up the allt garbh will be one of the muddier sections of your crossing! Its only 1.5km of muddy path until you reach a landrover track, but if it's been a wet spring, you'll enjoy the experience!!

The north side of the loch is a lovely walk on a more rugged path to start (it becomes well made and maintained further along) with what can at times be an exciting river to cross, Allt Coulavie. I've walked it many times. I've also walked the southern track many times and enjoyed it. You might find that, on the day, the weather, the company you have, your mood, all sorts of things might sway you at the decision point which way you go.