THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!
FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,
FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD
PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!
Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here
Any queries? Email the coordinators Sue, Ali & Mick at email@example.com
Thank you. I thought I could aim for the bothy as worst case scenario, then if I got there and weather and legs were good, I could just crack on as far beyond there as I felt like, and camp further up the glen somewhere.
I did similar distances last year - Newtonmore to Eidart Bridge, then Eidart Bridge to Callater Lodge. For me that was 8.5-9.5 hours walking each day - I’m probably around average pace for challengers.
The walking is easy with gentle climbs and (mostly) good paths (there’s some erosion at the top of Glen Feshie where paths have been washed away). Navigation would be straightforward in bad weather.
I had bright sunshine on the first day and prolonged rain on day 2 (neither days weather would have put me off doing the Lairg Ghru if that had been my first choice). Really bad weather would slow you down a bit
Ruigh Aiteachan is a splendid Bothy which has been lovingly restored in recent years. It will almost certainly be busy, but there’s lots of space to camp and it would be sheltered in bad weather.
Lots of camping spots at top of Glen Feshie/Glen Geldie, but they’d be quite exposed if the weather was really nasty.
Last year there was quite a tent city around Eidart Bridge (around NN910885), and it would probably be possible to get out of the wind there.
I suspect you don’t have much choice for an FWA to the Lairg Ghru - Glen Avon/Glen Builg means a big dog-leg to get to Braemar.
I suspect praying for good weather wouldn’t satisfy the vetters, but if your prayers are answered, the Lairg Ghru followed by Lochnagar will offer three days of glorious walking.
Email sent Lindsay..
You will be in Newtonmore, Kingussie or Aviemore the day before Coylum Bridge and you will likely phone in to Control. Get a weather report when you do. At that point you will likely be able to make your decision at that stage and go directly to Glen Feshie if needed.
Foul weather generally takes a day or two to brew up (not always) so you get some warning.
That is basically what I put in my route cards. Decide at Kingussie.
In the worst case you can simply do the long route via Glen Feshie. I've done Kingussie to Linn of Dee in one day when I had to.
My plan is the same as Colin's. However, I'm not sure if the Lairig an Laoigh to the E is an acceptable FWA as it doesn't get quite as high as the Lairig Ghru. If acceptable, this may be a simpler option if you're already in Coylumbridge...
Re the Lairig an Laoigh, yes and no. The route over the shoulder of Bynack More is fine, with a wide unmissable path, do-able unless conditions are extreme. The Fords of Avon though is the killer, an impassable torrent if in spate, so onward progress to Braemar could be completely blocked. You can still go via Ballater, using the Avon, Builg and Gairn paths.
Hope that helps.