​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Camera thoughts

Another shout for the little Panasonics; I have a couple, including the TZ70 which shoots RAW, has a Leica lens and easily pocketable. I got mine for £250ish, great results.

Lots of votes so far for the Panasonics/ I’d not considered them until now but I’ll definitely be having a look.

Has anyone had any experience with the canon gx7? As I’m familiar with canons it looks good and I love canons colour tone

Hi Tim - yes, I have a G7X and it is an excellent camera. Bought mainly for its low light ability (I don't like using flash) I have never taken it on the Challenge as it is quite heavy and overkill for the sort of pictures I am likely to take. I have used an older Powershot S90 and this is more than adequate, lighter, and now practically worthless so I don't worry about damage. That said, it has got pretty wet on occasions and come through fine after some TLC. Coming up to 4,000 shots taken since new. If you can find a good used one on eBay it should cost about £50. The newer S95 or S100 are improvements to widen your search, but you may pay more (+£10!) because they are newer.

The camera arms race is similar to that being run by mobile phones, better spec, higher price, pressure to upgrade etc. Stuff that was very good a few years ago, is still very good now.

Andy

Thanks Andy, really useful

Haven't bought camera for a few years but current one is a Panasonic Lumix which is not the lightest but does a good job on backpacking trips. Previously had Canon Power-Shot, simpler but adequate. One make to avoid is Konica - it was my first compact and died on first wet day even in poly bag inside liner inside rucksack.