​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Viewranger

Hi all - Duncan here, I'm an excited first timer looking forward hugely to taking part in next year's TGO with my cousin Charlie - two thirds of ZZ Top but without the misogyny or musical ability!
I've completed planning my route and am almost ready to send it to be checked but my question to the wise ones is about how I can find the daily height gain on my map in Viewranger - I've tried all of the settings that I can find without joy - advice would be hugely appreciated!

Re: Viewranger

Duncan,
Welcome to the TGOC community.

Other more techy members of the community may know a more sophisticated way, but the way I do it is to plan each day as a separate route. The height gain is then displayed in the route description. You can then combine the 12-14 individual routes into a single route if you want - I tend not to bother.

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestion Graham. I've had a look at adjusting using your advice but it looks like I'll have to redo the whole route section by section as I can't put a 'break' in my existing one. Lucky I've got spare time!

Hi Duncan, welcome to the Challenge.

I'm afraid I wont be coming this year, I am walking a South To North route about the same time as the Challenge but may see some of you as I head homeward.

If you have made your route out in one whole route, I have found that if you go into your route in "edit mode" and select "graph", from the icons at the top of the view ranger tool line, the height graph pops up below your route. next select the magnifying icon to the right of the graph that pops up. this allows you to move your pointer along the graph where it reads out your totalised mileage and height.
Good luck,
Neil.
PS when you re planning your walk on view ranger, you will find that as you put down less dots than foot steps, your planned mileage will be a little bit less than your actual, so you would be wise to add a little to your predicted daily total. I find that if reads 30KM on your planned map in reality you will find you walk about 32 to 33 KM, so bear that in mind.

Hope to see you all in 2021 if don't see you before. Good luck to all!

Hi Neil and many thanks for the comprehensive response. I must be rather dense as after following your advice I can still only see the 'spot height' rather than total height gain. However I've now gone over the route section by section so that I now have the information needed - it's also helped to refine and familiarise the route for me - most of which I haven't walked before.
Thanks also for the tip on predicted v actual mileage, I'll take that into account on my adventure