​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rannoch Station - Moor of Rannoch Hotel - wild camp

Hi Gordon

We didn’t do the Challenge this year but did an east to west crossing from Perth to Fort William in May. We stayed at the Moor of Rannoch Hotel for one night. It’s excellent and the food is exceptional. It’s not cheap but you get what you pay for. The owners are extremely friendly. I’d definitely stay there again as a special treat.
After we’d left the Moor of Rannoch we headed off towards the Kingshouse across Rannoch Moor. There looked to be a couple of shelters near to the loch mentioned above not that far out of Rannoch Station

Paul
@TrekkingPaul

I stayed there on my first challenge in 2011 and as it was my first stop indoors after 3 nights camped out in heavy rain I found it very welcome. Bath was excellent, food was great and the lady did a bit of washing for me. As I left in the morning I saw a hen harrier quartering the moor opposite.Now theres a bonus if ever there was one.

Thank you all for your replies.

Wild camping and a meal was my original plan. The spots by the Lochan look good - thank you for the video.

The comments on the Moor of Rannoch - how good etc have made me think again.

This is my 10th .............. and I have now emailed them to ask whether they will do me a reduced rate for single occupancy - as they did for the 2019 season. ( They are closed until February - not sure if they will get the request.) :thinking_face:

Expensive, but ............ it is my tenth. :wink:

I may have booked a room. :grinning:

Well done! You only ever have one 10th crossing! Make it memorable. Enjoy it all.

Thanks Annie......and to the others for the recommendations. I'm really looking forward to a special night there.

Another well done on reaching your tenth. I remember meeting on your first somewhere close to Alltbeithe, when you slowed down to our pace for a while to discuss among other things pack sizes! Have also stayed a few times the the Moor of Rannoch and as others, have found it a wonderful almost surreal experience given its location.. One time in the company of Tim and Bob Small from New York we spent an enjoyable evening sampling the selection of malts as the rain rattled the windows. It’s a classy refuge especially in wild weather. Good luck.

Hi Des, great to hear from you.

I remember so well our first meeting near Alltbeithe and our walking together with Eddie for a couple of days of enjoyable conversation. That walk from Cougie in to Fort Augustus was epic - we ended up arriving there well after 2230! I had my evening meal for breakfast the next morning!

I remember my first Challenge - on a day by day basis - better than many of the days on my subsequent Challenges.

And now, my tenth.

I couldn't resist the idea of staying at the Moor of Rannoch. It does sound so very special.

I'll have had three days camping by time I reach there. I have my fingers crossed for good weather as my route is a high one.

Hope to meet up with you again at some time.