​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pitching high twixt Loch Affric and Loch Mullardoch

I've been along the Affric Munros a couple of times but have never pitched in the area you specify. That said, I can't see any problems in good conditions; simply drop down on whatever side of the bealach is out of the wind and seek out a flat spot, the contours looking fairly kind. Snow might be an issue, forcing you a little lower than you'd like, but the last few winters suggest that the risk of that is low. There's an escape path down to Gleann nan Fiadh should you need it. I'd go for it.

Assuming that you'll be carrying on along the ridge in the morning, you'll be in search of a way down. Be warned that Fraoch Coire is well named, being full of thigh deep heather in its lower reaches. The descents to Affric are better, either the path down Doire Mhor from Pt892m or the thin track dropping through the woods from Meallan na Ceardaich. Alternatively, Toll Creagach is a pleasant out and back before going down the Allt Toll Easa path.

Hope that helps

Re: Pitching high twixt Loch Affric and Loch Mullardoch

Hi Collin,

Thank you for your thoughts , assuming you're still vetting this year, and my route heads your way for review, it'll be on the sheet.

Great Stuff

Andy