​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oban to Taynuilt

Hi Everyone,

One of my starting points this year could be Oban.
Looking at walking to Taynuilt on the first day, but no much on the way of any straight forward routes off road. The only reasonable route I can see on OS maps is the minor road that is marked under the national cycle network.

Is there any other alternatives and is this route a reasonably quiet road?

Also, can anyone tell me if there is anywhere around Taynuilt that I could wild camp?

Thanks,

Gavin

Re: Oban to Taynuilt

Gavin,

Here's my reply to the same question a couple of years back.

"Oban as a start point does suffer from the fact that most routes out involve substantial road walking, the only real exception being the ferry trip to Lismore. For many, many years, I avoided it as my kick off for that very reason, road walking being a personal dislike. Three years ago, however, I did succumb to the Glen Lonan/Taynuilt route and, I have to say that, as road walking goes, it cannot be bettered. There's hardly any traffic and the scenery is pleasant. There's the additional attraction that it's a popular first day and you have the opportunity for quite a social stroll along to Taynuilt. The miles can fly past and there's a pint to look forward to.

There are possible alternatives if you're prepared to be brave but they'll involve you in a lot of very rough country and may not be terribly enjoyable. Anyone who does discover another way to reach Taynuilt will be doing future Challengers a favour; the fact that I know of none does suggest that all attempts have ended in discomfort and frustration. Really, if you want to go that way, it's probably better to accept the tarmac and make easy miles eastwards, saving your energy for finer country ahead."

I agree with Colin, the walk along Glen Lonan was actually quite pleasant and very sociable.

The road was quiet ( 2 cars total) with lots of challengers (it was very windy in '18) but a really nice day's walk. If you walk just beyond Taynuilt you can camp in a field just by the smelter before the river and it is beautiful, you can relax and eat in the tea shop and there is a grocery store next to it as well as you pass through Taynuilt. We stayed in the hotel, but you certainly don't have too.

I agree with what was said above - quiet road and lots of friendly faces.