​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Monadh Liath

Alan, That's a beautiful picture.
I'm one of those weird people who quite likes wind farms. Last year I walked up through Stronelairg to camp near Chalybeate Spring.
Despite the fact that it was the hottest day of the crossing (even the deer were hiding under the steps to the turbines to escape the heat) and the only day where I spent more or less the whole day climbing, I enjoyed the walk and the slightly eerie feeling of camping near the huge turbines. I didn't realise they switch them off at night - it was fascinating watching them all slowly start back into action the next morning.

I started a day later than most so had the whole Monadh Liath wilderness to myself for two days - solitary splendour!

This year if I'm lucky enough to get in I'm planning to walk an almost straight line route from Strathcarron to Kinnaber Links which will mean walking through Dunmaglass windfarm on my way to the River Findhorn and then over to the River Dulnain and the Burma Road into Aviemore. Right through the heart of the Monadh Liath.

A number of people have raved about Glen Mazeran in blogs, but I struggle to see a natural route from there to Aviemore - General Wade's military road to Boat of Garden? That would put a large kink in my straight line!

Hope to see you somewhere in the Monday Liath next May!!

Re: The Monadh Liath

Should I so lucky, my route takes me through what is left of the soggy but wondrous Balmaccans, and then over some peaty heights and green valleys in what is left of the Monadhliath...
And, IF I survive the 1st 3 days... 🤔