​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Australia - no more printed maps

So, all on this thread are in broad agreement - printed maps should continue to be available from OS and others, and paper maps and compasses should be carried on the TGO Challenge with knowledge of how to use them, and used in conjunction with phone apps, GPSs, smart watches, etc as decided by each individual. I'll need to check but have Sue and Ali addressed this in the notes?...

Simon, good summary, it is covered in the event notes, under Planning for the Challenge - Skills, it mentions map and compass and not being solely reliant on GPS.

Going back to the original question about whether OS would consider stopping production of paper maps... OS is a GovCo and therefore runs as a business with a requirement to make a profit, or at the very least cover its costs. They have previously stated a commitment to paper maps (See here) but that was back in 2014. In their annual report for 18-19 under paper maps they describe "actively promoting our national mapping range to ensure that we maintain demand". At the same time, they describe the growing market for digital products and their OS Maps app. Interestingly they describe support from Country Walking and Trail magazine but no mention of TGO.

My take from all this is that we should support OS by buying printed maps if we want to see them continue to be offered as a product. I think that it is inevitable that if there is insufficient demand they will disappear. I carry paper maps, most of which I have printed myself. Sometimes I carry a full OS printed sheet depending on how much use I am likely to get from that sheet but I now think that I should buy more.

I meant to add that paper maps accounts for only 5% of OS revenue (Wikipedia). Not sure whether that makes them more, or less, secure as a product.