​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Whisky Flask Advice

Hi Phil,

Good to see your thinking on coming back.

I use a 500ml Lucozade (British fizzy drink) bottle. Remove the label (which weighs about 0.5g - to save weight). Rinse out and fill with the malt of your choice. The math bottle weighs about 8g (from memory) and doesn’t pass any taste onto the whisky.

Bottle may need to be refilled after the first week.

Slainte,
Bernie

Whisky advice

In my experience other Challengers whisky always tasted better than mine so I now don't bother to carry any!!!

I find the 10 fl oz bottle from GSI Outdoors works very well. I think the material it is made from is called Lexan, and the bottle is very light yet sturdy.

Thanks for the responses.

Bernie - hope you are well. I remember Lucozade and will keep that in mind for the next TGO! I'll check out options over here. The quality of bottles used today made me wonder if they would leach a bit or worse, leak!

Peter - that's a perfect UL strategy! Won't cover my solo trips though...

Kirsten - that's actually the exact flask I'm trying to replace - I liked it for several years, then the plastic/lexan turned cloudy and made me a wee bit suspicious what may be happening as I jostle along! Maybe I should just ignore the cloudiness. I use mine about one trip a month for four years (plus some longer walks including last year's TGO).

I'm beginning to dig into all the trip reports, blogs and photos from this year. Looks wonderful!

I've had one of Bob's for 6 years, and it has never failed.

HERE

Job done!

I have one of those! For lightness, dispense with the blue outer, but keep the pull-off blue cap/shot glass. This is a useful counter to those with a tendency to 'glug', thus preserving precious supplies, and also to keep the neck of your flask a hygienic distance from those suffering from halitosis and indifferent dentistry.

Thank you gentlemen! I'll have to look into that one - and see if I can get it in the US as well.

I think the answer to this is pretty simple - at least for 2019 Challengers. I'm using the freebie platypus 500ml bottle that was in this year's goodie bags.

For my hikes I wanted to take whisky and wine and obviously substantial bottles start adding up in weight and bulk.

So I got some "alcohol bladders", not unlike Evernew or CNOC water bladders but cheap, sturdy, and intended for festivals & gigs for people to smuggle alcohol in.

There are many variants, I got 4 x 1 litre and 2 x 0.5 litre for £8.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I7N9HZ6

They're actually surprisingly sturdy and well made, and when empty the roll up out of the way.