​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The 40th Great Outdoors Challenge 2019, my way...

Always enjoy reading your Challenge write up! Sounds like all the pre Challenge training worked well. It was my first time through Fetterresso, and it wasn't as bad as I expected. Then again, I never saw it before the wind farm and other changes.

Thank you Brian. Yes, I think the training worked, might continue with that 😉🤣
I hadn't been through the Fetteresso before the windfarm either, if you can avoid/ignore that, I think it's okay. Very quiet!

Sorry about the confusion about the road closures in the Fetteresso Louise and any trepidation that it caused. The Forestry Commission, or Forestry & Land Scotland as they call themselves these days were distinctly unhelpful. In reality you could have crossed Leechie Hill and ignored the 200m of road that was officially closed as there was nothing going on in the area.

If you had stayed on that side you could have dropped in my gaff for a cuppa and a dry out.

Last year the FC were very helpful, sending me maps and timetables.
This year I just got a reply saying that the only closures were the section that I reported to everyone. The FC attitude seemed to be that walkers should take the forest as they find it and didn't seem to understand how difficult it is to come across a road closed sign after walking 10 miles with a full pack.

On the Saturday I had a chance to go up and take a look myself and found that the situation wasn't at all what I had been told and the only bit which was closed was the 200m and actually anyone coming down from Leechie Hill would have come onto the road in the middle of the "No unauthorised Entry" section without passing any signs anyway.

At no time did they mention any work on the north side of the forest and in fact my warnings were telling people to divert that way (the route that you actually took}. Some people seem to have been affected by the northern forestry work and others weren't.

You have to remember that the only way I can communicate with challengers is through this forum or by asking the coordinators to pass things on. I did give my contact details to Sue to pass on to anyone who needed them.

I was disappointed to find that just about every challenger I talked to this year hadn't heard about the guide that I produced. You are right about the shortage of camping opportunities in the Fetteresso.

A great story nicely told.

Thought you chaps might have pushed on further, the site by the 'bothy' did not look that great.

Thanks Ed. At Charr? There are nice pitches down by the river 😊

No, after Alltbeithe.....I saw that pitch down by the jetty and that was it for me!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47078708564_3793310fc9_o.jpg

Ah yes! I'd forgotten about Athnamulluch!
It was nice having toilets and a picnic bench 😊

Fine write up Louise.

Thank you Willie 😊

Enjoyed your write-up, Louise, and admire the number of photos you took.

Thank you Kirsten!
Ha, I always take a lot/way too many photos, mainly on the dry days to make up for not bothering to stop on the wet days (I have an Olympus Tough, which is waterproof, it's purely not caring to stop on wet days)