​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TGO Challange 2019 photo-blog

Well, here's my crossing, with all the aches and pains that went with it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7hkvhZRZE8rM55MS9

Re: TGO Challange 2019 photo-blog

That's a lovely write up and thank-you for sharing it with us.

I to had problems with the heat, although I was lucky in that my shortest day also coincided with the hottest day of the Challenge. I also had problems with not meeting any Challengers on my route and I found that difficult, especially walking for several days without meeting anyone. Again, better route planning for next year I think.

Really enjoyable pictures and write-up. I like your photo-caption style. My knees hurt less this year than last so there is always hope of an improvement. Glad that it wasn't just me that was flagging in the heat!

Nice...aches and pains excepted...

Thanks for a great write-up and photos Caburn. I've really enjoyed reading it all. You certainly found some plum camping spots! and a few good beers too.

Hi Caburn,

Good to see you on that hillside. It was certainly a long way down - but on getting to the bottom Rosie found she had another (flat) mile in her when I mentioned the Ben Cruachan Inn :grinning:

Ah, so that's where you ended up!
I saw you both sat down on the corner of the track where it met the tarmac lane - I was only a couple of hundred yeards behind you at that point, about 7pm I guess it was.
I hadn't thought of the Ben Cruachan Inn, and I was too tired to get to Dalmally, so I just found the nearest place to camp. Nice bathing and washing facilities :smirk:
It's amazing what the promise of a hot shower, comfy bed and alcohol can do to boost performance!!

Indeed. I noted that you said you were not walk fit. You could have fooled us with you skipping across all those Munros :grinning: We walked many of the same places as you up to Loch Lyon and even camped at Pubil. I assume you were a day ahead of us.

A fine photo collection, and I enjoyed looking at your trip a lot. Thanks for sharing.

I really enjoyed that, Caburn. I always look forward to your slide shows.

I recognise so many aspects of your crossing. The pain, the occasional misery, the beautiful camp spots ...... and lots of lovely beer!

I hope your knee recovers.

Ha ha yes! Those common feelings that make it a true Challenge!
The last four days were hell, to be honest. Once you come down off the Highlands, there's very little to inspire you onwards,except the drive to get to the sea. I even said to myself - "if someone offers me a lift, I will take it this time". Of course, this was probably the first time I WASN'T offered a lift on the final plod to the sea!!!
So I just had to carry on limping.

Hi Caburn,

I cannot believe how close we were at the start of day 5. I had camped on the bealach between Beinn Achaladair and Beinn An Dothaid. I met the German couple (they were on the Stevenson Way)too descending from Beinn Achaladair towards Beinn a' Chreachain. On Schiehallion we missed each other by a day, I did it on day 7. :smile:

Really love your photo diary and the honest account of how exhausting the walk sometimes can be.

Crikey! We were only 1km apart! I must have broke camp before you and walked past you around 8am! I didn't see a tent - I swung round a bit to the eastern side of the ascent of Achaladair to avoid the steeper craggy bits around Coire a'Ghabhalach, so I guess I must have missed you?
But then you managed to get ahead of me for Schiehallion!
I would have loved a bit of company - hadn't seen any Chalengers since Day 2, and wouldn't see any more till Day 8!

I started walking at a quarter to seven, it was so hot these days that I tried to get at least some kilometres done while it was still cool.
So sorry, it would have been nice to have some company and somebody to explain which one of the summit cairns was the "real" summit!? The German couple must have spent hours up there.:thinking_face: :laughing:
I was lucky and spent the whole next day walking with lovely company from Bridge of Gaur to the foot of Schiehallion.

Before any pedants choose to point it out - yes I spelt "Challenge" wrong!
Doh!!!!