​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pre-Challenge Update

I've just spent a brilliant 5 days hillwalking on Mull and the Morvern peninsula and I can share details about current conditions that may be useful for Challengers, especially those who don't live in Scotland.
Heard the first cuckoo, then loads more! Saw ptarmigan, eagles, and a lone adder. Loads of bluebells, primroses and other spring flowers in the woods and hills. There is no sign of midgies, yet... Didn't get any ticks but I'm sure they're around!
The ground is very dry underfoot but of course there are still boggy sections, especially if you go 'off piste'.
The weather at the moment is dry with summits mostly clear of cloud. Temperatures are low, 8-12degC during the day and close to freezing at night, and there is a very icy northerly wind blowing, especially higher up, that gives many minus degrees of wind chill. I needed winter hat and gloves. Having said that, the sun is warm in sheltered spots.
There is very little winter snow remaining, with patches higher up on N and NE facing slopes. We've had snow showers the past few days and some hills in the West have a thin covering of spring snow above about 950m. Driving back today, I saw that the Cairngorms are completely white, looks like from about 850m.
Just a few more days now before we start, so hope to see folk during the crossing,
Simon.

Re: Pre-Challenge Update

Thanks for the update Simon. The Cairngorm mountain webcam shows a smattering of snow on the lower slopes, but nothing to substantial. Hopefully it won't get to bad over the next few weeks!

Thanks for the update Simon, hopefully see you Friday morning at Kilchoan!

Likewise. :smile:

I'm staying at the Kilchoan Hotel so will be quaffing breakfast and aiming for a 9am start on Friday, if not a touch before.

Likewise.

Eating there Thurs eve too? I'll prob plan to eat 6-6.30.

It's snowing here at the moment... (Aberdeenshire - we're at 300m)

Simon S
Eating there Thurs eve too? I'll prob plan to eat 6-6.30.
I'll be checking in around 1400. Aiming to get to Adnamurchan Lighthouse and back. Will try to make 6 or 6.30pm.

I'm also staying Thursday Night at the Kilchoan Hotel. Won't be ariving 'til 5-ish so I will spend the first part of Friday heading in the wrong direction to get to Corrachadh Mor and Ardnamurchan Point

I'm staying in Tobermory Thursday evening and getting 7.20am ferry over Friday. See you then!