​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ordnance Survey revisits Naismith's Rule

Never heard of it. :scream:

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Back in the autumn of 2008 when I was entering my first Challenge after seeing it on The Adventure Show, I had to fill in a form asking for my experience. I understand that's still the case, but, as it's not available at the moment, I have been unable to check whether the relevant question is still there.

I remember at the time thinking that the question was even more stupid than Naismith's Rule, which, as a short, slightly well upholstered middle-aged to elderly female I have always despised as no help at all, because it didn't even account for height gained.

The question on the entry form was: how far can you walk in a day? I wrote an essay about peat bogs, heather and tussocks, ascent and descent (the latter being slower with crumbly knees) vs prepared tracks with little gradient and concluded by saying that on average, over a period of 2 weeks it would probably be about 20km a day.

I now realise it wasn't a stupid question. There is no "right" answer to it and my response explained why. But there are potential answers that could give the Coordinators serious pause for thought as to whether the applicant was suitable and realised what they were taking on.

Back to Naismith: I still think it's a waste of time, because of the variables not accounted for, and it's unnecessary these days. Modern mapping websites allow you to set your own parameters so you can get a personalised time prediction.

Some of the other variables mentioned do chime, especially ones related to faffing time, or knowing you've gone wrong but not sure where you are.

Not the technology though. I'm far too concerned about wasting battery ...

"How far do you expect to walk in a day?" No it's not a stupid question. I recent checked a route where the longest back packing trip an entrant had experience of was a Bronze DofE expedition. The experience sheet submitted with their entry revealed that they were expecting to walk up to 20K a day. The route submitted later included several 30K plus days over trackless terrain and one day of over 40K. This told me something about the entrants ability to read a map and plan a feasible route. And after 50 years of walking in the hills I still use Naismith's rule (adapted to my abilities) as a rough & ready guide when planning my routes, maybe not for everyone but it suits me.