​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Midges and Ticks on the go!

Hi William,

Permethrin is the spray for clothing. Not sure how available it is in outdoor shops.

It's great for ticks - although in 7 crossings ( before I used Permethrin ) I never had any ticks. Pure Luck!

FWIW I've never had any issues with midges on the Challenge - seen a few, but, not biting and certainly not enough to drive you insane - as they do when they really get going.

William Burton
Hi Louise

Give me a link or name to this spray so I can get some when I arrive. I will not have much time to search around. Is it available in outdoor stores?

Thanks, William :flag-bb:
Hi William!
Repellants DON'T work for ticks, so I use permethrin which is an insecticide and kills them if they dare to wonder onto my gear! It is nasty stuff, you have to apply it carefully away from water sources, aquatic animals and pets, but once it's dry it's safe...except to ticks (and other creepy crawlies)
Lifeventure make a spray, the one I'm currently using is from Coleman, both are available from Amazon but I don't think I've ever found it off the shelf. Perhaps you could order some to be delivered to your start point? Bit of a faff though. Maybe do it for next time?
https://www.purpleturtle.co.uk/lifesystems-ex4-clothing-treatment-350ml-10727.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwZrmBRA7EiwA4iMzBMcS1Gsu2Fg-WcsBTbctUyX9UniKzdI3JEne_rbpt5eRWDtOhzOb_xoCBAEQAvD_BwE
See you soon William!

*wander
:scream:

Hi can you put this stuff on your skin. In 3 crossing Iv had a couple but this time I’m doing it in a kilt and open to them having a feed, normally I covered up but my dad has insisted we all do the crossing in kilts and who’s to argue lol

No.

Thanks

Ha!!Ha!! Your gonna get them all over your B,,,,,,s with wearing that kilt,😳😳

Stefan, can I suggest midge trousers? I have a midge jacket with a hood that I find very useful. I've never bought the trousers, but your need might be greater!

Amazon do them or https://www.weasdale.com/Plants/6041/clothing/-midge-trousers

Hi Brian,

They weren't out in force was yes, I was bitten a few times!

That doesn't bode well. It looks like being a bad year.

I did the Challenge for the first time last year and loved it, thank you all. I am unable to join you this year but have just left Scotland after finishing my LEJOG (wildwalkinguk.com) and have been thinking of you the midges were starting to appear so I would definitely take a midge net this year as they will be about and for anyone new to them just keep moving if there's no wind..... Good Luck to you all and hopefully its as good weather as last year. Mark

Midges and 'perhaps' rain.....?

I want my money back :blush:

Hi,
I got permethrin in Tiso's a couple of years ago.
Not sure if it was as bad for the ticks as it was for me. I sprayed my boots but I got itchy feet. It may have been co-incidence. I may give it another try.
Anyway Tiso's still stock it.
Other outdoor shops may also stock it.

Thanks to all. I may be able to get a product here that the main ingredient is permethrin. If not I will get it in the UK.

I hate using chemicals but also hate what the ticks can give.

William :flag-bb:

Ed Hyatt
Midges and 'perhaps' rain.....?

I want my money back :blush:
There may be midges.
There will be TICKS.
There is bound to be rain.
There MAY be PAIN

It's in the name! :thinking_face: :flushed:

I dabbed lavender oil, as used in aromatherapy, on my socks, boots and trousers in Scotland last year and that did the tick (dreadful pun) as for the first time I was not bothered by the blighters. I also dotted the lavender oil round my inner tent.

While the oil can be applied to material, I was advised not to apply it to my skin because it is highly concentrated and might burn. I've not tried lavender oil as a deterrant for midges, but would be interested to see if it works better than cigarette smoke which we used as teenagers - the midges died from passive smoking ...