​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trail/approach shoes

I know where you are coming from Julie.

Did TGOC in 2011 in Trail Shoes: rained every day.:sob:

Trail shoes still feel comfy when wet - unlike wet boots.

I still use boots for full on Winter.

As you say: it's all about individual taste and what makes us feel most comfortable.

Look forward to meeting you again, at some time.

I too like the Altra Lone Peaks (3.5). But I read that the new Lone Peaks 4 have a little less cushioning and a lot of people are switching to the Altra Timps...
The Altra Olympus have a lot of cushioning but the grip on the edges is not very good because of that - in my opinion.
Another pair that was really nice were the La Sportiva Wildcats.

I use them with Gore Tex Socks (Gore Bike Wear) when going through bog in Scotland. :)

I've used them for all my backpacking for a decade or so.

Get into a shop and try on a range of them to see what suits your feet.

In general people will recommend what works for them, which is a useful guide, but might not work for you.

On that bandwagon my preference is for Brookes Cascadia, or La Sportiva Wildcats as a close second.

I had 2 pairs of La Sportiva Wildcats and also found them excellent. I switched to Altras after seeing them and .... getting them half price. I found the Lone Peak 2s pretty robust - more so than the Wildcats.

I've used Trail shoes since 2011.
Can't see me changing this year.
Nothing else has the feel in the sole or the grip.

I'll add to that.
I use Inov8 Roclites.
Used to use Terrocs.
They work for me.
But..........
That is just me.
My feet.

You need to find a pair that work for your feet, and that you have thoroughly tested first.

I’ve worn trail shoes for backpacking for the last ten years or so. Mostly inov8 - I loved the terrocs sadly no more - currently wearing parkclaw 275s - lots of cushioning - not sure if they’ve enough grip for mountains. I’ve also got a pair of Salomon x ultra mid 3 gtx which are light boots - a good halfway house - unless I change my mind, I’ll wear them for this year’s challenge. Salomon are narrow fitting which suits me, a number of the brands suggested by others are too wide for me.

I carry more socks with trail shoes as they get wet quicker, I also buy half a size bigger for walking than I would for running so I can wear double socks - it’s a process of trial and error to find out what works.

I suspect it’s also true that most trail shoe wearers carry fairly light packs - less stress on the feet so you can get away with less padding in the midsoles.

Hope you find something that helps you to have a good crossing.