​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food Suppies for the Challenge; Some Appalling Nerdiness

Whilst sorting out my supplies for this year's Challenge I foolishly undertook an exercise to work out how many calories a typical day's menu would provide me whilst walking. In about 45 years of backpacking I have never indulged in such mindless stupidity before. The results, however, did surprise me. If you do not have much of a life and would be interested in what food I carry, and what I discovered, you can read the results in this short blog post:

https://fellbound.blogspot.com/2019/04/sorting-my-tgoc-supplies-i-did.html

Re: Food Suppies for the Challenge; Some Appalling Nerdiness

Sugar! I'm told the link didn't work. I've struggled for 6 years to insert website links on this message board and finally thought I had it cracked. I must admit defeat. So if your life really is so pointless and sad that you want to read it you'll have to do the cut and paste thing:

https://fellbound.blogspot.com/2019/04/sorting-my-tgoc-supplies-i-did.html

Or you could click here for David's Appalling Nerdiness.

Nothing nerdy here, it's called science! I have done similar and recorded calories (and protein) per gram and have searched the supermarket shelves for the highest Kcals/gram. Here's my breakfast recipe: 50g Quick cook oats, 65g dried fruit, 30g dried coconut milk, 10g sugar, 20g desiccated coconut, half a tsp salt = 175g and 800Kcals. How much does your 520 Kcals weigh? One of the secrets here is dried coconut milk at 7.5Kcals per gram, needless to say, that I will be sick of coconut by the time I get to Montrose. I am looking at a minimum of 3000Kcals / day - at 6 feet tall and just over 10 stone, I don't have the pounds to shed.

I must confess that I got the idea of the breakfast recipe from one of our supporters - Tent Meals. They sell Coconut milk powder but of course, other suppliers are available.

It may not have come up in your calculations that you can try to include too much walking into your estimations . Scotland has an endless list of wildlife for endless diversion on your adventure , together with endless picnic/wine party sites . Please consider reviewing your desires as to their reality in this scene . Hope this helps .

For gusseted bags Lakeland Soup and Sauce bags will serve you well. I use them for all my breakfasts and dehydrated evening meals.
I see your calorie count does not include any alcohol, given your companions on the Challenge, I can't believe this will not make up some of your calorific intake.