​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flying into UK with backpacking meals repackaged in check-in bag...

Hi Ryan

Most countries are very strict with allowing Meat and vegetable products into their country. For various reasons.

I would think that they will be confiscated by the authority. If you repack them there are more likely to be found by the sniffer dogs. I would not dare to enter the USA with these meals – even it they were originally made in the USA as the customs are very strict and besides taking them away they will fine you.

I buy each year in the UK and buy UK made products. If I bring any left over back the next year they are Local made and should not cause a problem.

I am starting in Oban. Hope to meet you along the way. I will have a small green tent with a Barbados Flag. Happy hour starts once the tent is up and I have had a hot drink. Stop by.

William

Ryan, I sweated that exact thing last year. I ended up buying most of my food after arriving in the UK, but I did bring a few freeze dried meals with me in their original packaging. After seeing my bag go through customs with nary a single look, I was wishing I'd just packed all my food from the US. Your mileage may vary, of course. Next time, I'm going to risk it a bit more.

Kent

I bring all my own food from the States with me in my checked luggage. its not freeze-dried type meals, but I try to keep all the labels and such so i can show what exactly it is, and ditch what i don't need as far as packaging once arrived. I've never had a problem at customs.

Morning Ryan

I've flown both ways a few times carrying FD food and never had a problem; including entering the US and declaring it.

I'd repackage in the UK though to be on the safe side; bring your own zippies - ours are not as robust :relaxed:

I just traveled in with a whopping 20 Mountain House meals and some other stuff. I do it all the time. They are larger than the ones here and less expensive. Plus, the selection is different, expect more curries here. And, yes, you aren’t supposed to bring meat and dairy in but there’s no declaration like you have in the US. Just don’t offer additional info at Customs, you’re just going hiking in Scotland. They may want to see your return ticket, be ready for that.

I’ve had one item confiscated in all the years, it was beef jerky that I repackaged going into Belfast on my way to Scotland.

So I would definitely would repackage in the UK and bringing your own ziplock bags (freezer type) is a must. I have found replacements but you won’t have the time for it.

Email me directly if you have further questions.