​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What is your start and end point this year?

All around a great route Shaun, especially for your first Challenge!

For my third I am starting at Lochailort and ending at Kinnaber Links, going via Fort Augustus, Glen Feshie, and Ballater to Tarfside

Thanks Shawn, I'll hopefully see you at Tarfside, have a safe trip 😁

Shaun

Good route Sean, Enjoy every minute of it, See you in Oban, you'll recognise us the Four Kilted Salford bad lads.

Sorry spelt your name wrong,:innocent:

Hurrah! This should bring the number of kilts up to at least 7. That's a lot of fresh air. My advice is to be careful when crossing stiles in a strong wind. It's not so bad if there's nobody behind you, but.... er......
For info, me and The Lad are starting at Strathcarron following a night of carousing at the Inverness Travelodge. We're finishing at Haughs of Benholm wherever that is, I suspect it's somewhere between Halifax and Keighley, We may visit Braemar and Callater.
Just a tip, though, the Great Drought of 2019 begins on 9 May......

Haughs of Benholm? Interesting choice. You do realise that there isn't a pub there don't you? In fact there is nothing except a small cluster of cottages and some cows. On the plus side you are only a short hop from Johnshaven which does have an excellent boozer which does some really good grub and would be a very suitable place to have a celebration. https://www.anchorhoteljohnshaven.co.uk/loungebar

Brian - once again many thanks for your valued remarks and advice. I do hope that at some stage you can, considering personal committments, take part in The Challenge. It's a big tent, and you would be beyond welcome. Meanwhile, keep your comments coming!

Hi Shaun
We start in Lochailort this year too. Hope to see you there.

Everyone's start and end points/dates will be in the Final Details. Coming to you soon . . .

Hello Shaun, I'm starting at Glenelg and our paths will not cross until Braemar, depending on what day either of us plan to get there. Then its onto Sheilin of Mark bothy, Tarfside, Northwater Bridge and finishing at St Cyrus.
Have a great time.

Per Ardua.

Morning Darren,

I plan to be in Bramaer on Saturday 18th then my route looks very similar to yours, it'll be good to catch up mate. Let me know when you plan to get into Bramaer and I can shout you a beer.

Per Ardua

Shaun

My first attempt too with a Strathcarron start; then via Fort Augustus, Aviemore, Braemar to a Stonehaven finish. Hoping to wander (nonchalantly of course) along a few high ridges if the forecast looks kind....

Hi Paul,
When are you due in the Monadhliath and Tomintoul? It looks like our routes may coincide part of the way.
I'm starting at Dornie and finishing at Newburgh Bar (the sand bar not the pub!)

Hi Kirstenp

I shall be staying at Ault na goire Monday 13th May and then if all goes to plan I shall be spending the night camped next to the estate hut at NH 718 093 in the heart of the Monadhliath.

As for Tomintoul, I shall be aiming to camp at Glen Brown forest which is four miles to the east of Tomintoul. However, I only have 18 miles to do that way and on the basis that nothing gets between me and a pint, I hope to do the extra 4 miles and be camping in Tomintoul on the evening of Thursday 16th May.

As for you finishing at Newburgh, I am interested in your route as Newburgh / Collieston may be a potential finishing point for me next year.

Hi Paul,
We are going to miss as I'll be through the Monadhliath later than you. I'm hoping to camp at the east end of Glen Markie on Tuesday 14th, in Glen Mazeran on 15th, and will be near Tomintoul Friday 17th.
I was a bit confused by your Glen Brown Forest being "east" of Tomintoul. Firstly the patch of forest whose centre is around NJ 124177 has been mostly felled, but there is a brilliant camping spot about NJ 116177, which I'll be using if I don't want to continue into town.
E-mail me directly, kirsten.p@blueyonder.co.uk, and I can give you details of my three routes going across Aberdeenshire. Finding fly camping spots in all that agricultural land can be tricky but the walking is lovely.

Sorry, Glen Brown forest is 4 miles west of Tomintoul (or Tomintoul is east of the forest). I got a little mixed up!

Another Strathcarron starter here, staying north via Inverness and the Moray Coastal Trail, ending at St Combs, good luck with your crossings everyone

Mallaig start this year, then Fort Augustus, Aviemore, Braemar and Tarfside before a finish at Scurdie Ness.