​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Power banks

Yip, I too use an Anker Power Bank.

The model I have is the PowerCore II 10000, Ultra-Compact 10000mAh Portable Charger... Costs £21.99 from Amazon

For many ears I'd a Samsung Galaxy III phone - which was great as you could swap out the battery, unlike the majority of modern smartphones. So I'd carry three spare batteries - total extra weight was 114gm. Finally this phone came to the end of life, so I bought an LG K10 phone, which cost me all of £120 and does the biz. This model has a replacable battery.

Yea but no but yea but . . . last September I went over to the Parc National des Ecrins in France a remote region with scarce infrastructure once you get into the high mountain.

Sure, I could've bought three extra batteries - or gone for a power bank (which is really just a big rechargeable battery with an outlet, hey ho). The money didn't really matter - would've been the same in either case. So I bought the Anker - they're the leading brand, and have an 18-month warranty. Weighs 180gm.

Worked a treat. Over two and half weeks I took pix, made vids, accessed news and weather sites, made WhatsApp calls and so forth. And still had plenty of juice left.

The attraction of a power bank is that you can use it to charge multiple devices - phone, tablet, whatever. If you've a Mac device you'll have to buy a Lightning connector separately. I'm on the Android platform, which is pretty much universal except in the US and alternate realities.

Re: Power banks

I too am an Anker. :wink:

Lower weight and more compact than my old EasyAcc 10000.:+1:

Me three; one thing I've seen (anecdotal accounts with no testing) is that the capacity to retain a charge drops off 'relatively' quickly.

Not noticed it myself.

The 181g (poor me) Anker is a significant improvement on the 26500 brute I carried last year in the US.

Just bought an Anker powercore ll slim,
used to just have a spare phone battery, but new phone is a sealed unit grrrrr

I used that Anker 10000 last year on the crossing. Used it for charging phone and Suunto watch. Will be using it again this year, great bit of kit and after 4 days use it was still half full.