​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drumnadrochit Ferry booking

That was good to know, thanks Alan for the info. And while we're at it; do we pay him by cash before we hop on? There probably aren't any ATMs in Drumnadrochit?

You do pay cash, and I believe there is an ATM at the Co-op/Scot Mid supermarket, Drumnadrochit at the southern end of the village, housed near the take-away. There is a Post Office in the village, you may be able to get cash back there, or at other local shops, if you are making any purchases and re-stocking. I usually have a bit of cash stashed safely at this point if the crossing, in case I don't enter the village near the supermarket or I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Hi Minna.

Gordon takes cash. From memory, if there's half a dozen or more it's ten pounds each. Fewer than that and I believe the fare is split between the Challengers - around £60 or £70.

Sadly, the Bank of Scotland at the main road junction in Drumnadrochit has closed, so the cash point has gone with it. It might be possible to get cash from the Post Office (in Paterson's Grocer's Store) only a few steps away over the bridge in the village. But probably not on a Sunday. There's always the Co-Op supermarket half a mile further south. They usually do cash-back.

It's probably better to take cash with you. I always take enough to get me to the Great Glen - it weighs only the effort of earning it and those memories of work are cast aside the moment you step away from your start point on your fabulous journey eastwards.

Good luck, and Happy Walking!

:slightly_smiling_face:

It weighs only the effort of earning it and those memories of work are cast aside the moment you step away from your start point on your fabulous journey eastwards.

How very right you are, Alan!

Thanks everyone for replying. I'll carry some cash for the ferry, then. This year, I'll be carrying a lot less otherwise, so a few pounds won't probably weigh me down. And there's always the delightful fact that the more you spend, the lighter your pack will be :upside_down_face: .

I was in Drum last October and found an ATM in one of the Loch Ness gift shop complexes right off the A831/A82 junction.

Hei Minna,

last year we were only two on the boat and Gordon still only asked for 10 Pounds each.

I didn't get cash in Drumnadrochit: the ATM at the supermarket was empty, my foreign credit and banking card didn't work for cashback and the ATM at the gift shop wasn't open in the morning. Luckily there was another Challenger on the crossing who kindly borrowed me some money. It is a bit far for swimming... :sunglasses:

Hi everyone

Thanks to everyone for replying to my query. I'll just text Gordon nearer the time.

Thanks for the info Alan, I had e-mailed Gordon several times as well and hadn't heard anything back. I'm heading for an evening crossing on Monday 13th and then walking up to Alt na Goire. Do you need to book at Alt na Goire or is it just turn up on the day?

Hi Paul
The contact details for Janet at Ault na Goire are on page 8 of the Event Details and it is best to get in touch and let her know you plan to stop there.

Louise
Hi Paul
The contact details for Janet at Ault na Goire are on page 8 of the Event Details and it is best to get in touch and let her know you plan to stop there.
Have just a sent an e-mail to Janet at Ault na Goire. Thanks for the info Louise.

Happy to help Paul 😊

For all those Challengers who do not seem to have read the Challenge Event Details 2021. Page 8 of the Challenge information doc. Crossing Loch Ness. Crossings will need to be pre-booked. Please do not try and contact Gordon Menzies before 1st March. There is also a new E mail address. This probably explains why Gordon is not replying to your E mails!

I'm not sure why this popped to the top of the MB, the last comment was mine, dated March 2019, then yours Peter just now. Odd.

We think it popped to the top of the board as there was a spam post added to it a couple of days ago which we took down. We imagine Peter didn't spot the dates as it's natural to assume its a recent thread when at the top of the list.

That explains it! I noticed it when it first popped up, got a bit confused when I saw my comment was last at the time 😳
Easy mistake 🙂