​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kytra lock

For those intending to use the caledonian canal tow path between Invergarry and Fort Augustus please note that the tow path is currently closed at Kytra lock and is actually fenced off at Cullochy lock. A check of the Scottish canal webpage states the tow path will be subject of intermittent closures over the next 2 to 3 months which does not assist!im currently on the GGW and although there is a shuttle bus running to cover the distance I opted for the A82 road walk,not pleasant. Hopefully the situation will be resolved but just for heads up

Re: Kytra lock

Additional information: Don't plan to follow the woodland paths from the Bridge of Oich and use the bridge marked on OS maps at NH336056, it has not been there for several years and the burn is impassable at this point:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4302044
However, if you stay on the high path from Invergarry heading for Dial a' Chuirn, there is an unmarked bridge at roughly NH312056, just a matter of a possible deer fence to cross to gain woodland tracks via Coire Torr Dhuin to Auchteraw and Fort Augustus.

Hi Steve, thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on that page.
Thank you Louise, for that info too, was already looking for alternatives.

Happy to help Marty. The high path was my planned route last year, but I took the easy option in the end to walk with friends. I used geograph.org and satellite views a lot to check the path and burn crossing, you can just pick out the bridge, I think it will go, just be brave with the deer fence :slightly_smiling_face:

Technically speaking, you can still walk along the Caledonian Canal......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-47496621