​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route Planing - Out of Cougie

From Loch Affric my planned route was Allt Garbh turning for Cougie then from Cougie SW Down to Corrie Dho. Looking at the map again there is a path south side of river from Cougie that terminates over the Bealach Feith na Gamhna. According to the map there is another path 3km south at NW corner of th forest by Allt na Muic. Can anyone offer any information on this route?

Many Thanks

Re: Route Planing - Out of Cougie

Looking on bing maps there is a path from Cougie south and then it turns into what looks like a 4x4 track. My advice to you is to take it. Intuitively you would think that a path connects the two, but if there isn't 3km, 2 miles over boggy ground, not that far? The path from Cougie will take you to the watershed so all you have to do is to follow the watercourse down.

Walking where there are no paths is what makes the challenge. Enjoy it!

I have done that route several years ago.
In fact 2006, so a bloody long time ago.
From memory, it is a bit indistinct in places, but you can easily follow the river.
It's a bit hit an miss until you pick up what was at the time a rather moist track through the edge of the forest and then finally down to the road.
We came from near Athnamulloch just before Lochy Affric, had beer, tea and scones with the sadly missed wonderful Val at Cougie, a rather fabulous place to stop IMHO, so had a done a bit by the end.
We camped that night to the left of the river heading south, after the woods and before the road around NH 267 131.
The route LRT Paul suggests further East is much easier, but a bit of a trudge, although in rubbish weather, a better solution.
As an alternative if the weather is good, and you fancy some interesting off piste, (I have done this also), you can take the track out and then take the high ground over Carn a Choire Ghlais and Carn a Choire Leith, or just contour round and pick up the main LRT south the lochan above Beinn Bhan.
Much depends on where you start.
On the bigger track, you can camp to the left of the track a bit before the woods. There are some flatish spots near the river, although the water could be hit an miss.
If you are starting at Cougie, or near Cougie, then either option is OK and it is easily possible to crack on over to Fort Augustus in a day, and still be there in time for tea and later beers.
Morag's Lodge is an OK bunkhouse, and there are B&B's. Not sure what the camp site is doing now, as haven't been that way for a couple of years.

Hi Nigel.
On my first Challenge I accidentally stayed at Cougie (I was planned to camp beyond Cougie, but stopped for a cup of tea and the weather was horrific. There was a spare bed...)
Anyhow, the next day the wonderful St. Hugh and Barbara persuaded me to join them and we took the route you are interested by. The bit between the paths is a bit boggy in places, but we did it on a wet, windy day and I didn't find it overly energy sapping. It is quite easy to follow the river to pick up the path just north of the forestry.
We went all the way to Fort Augustus in one day and it although it was hard work at times, it is doable.
Hope that helps.

Nigel,

I went almost the way you describe last year.

The track up the allt garbh has been ‘reinstated’ after the hydro works - there’s a fingerpost where it turns off, then the stream provides a good hand-rail - the path is indistinct in places.

I found it tricky to find the beginning of the path up through the forest from Cougie.
I suspect it’s farther than I expected down the forestry track before turning up the hill - I ended up bashing my way through the trees until I found the path - definitely not recommended!
The edge of the forest has a deer fence and stile - from there the route is obvious but the path isn’t.
I contoured round from the bealach and joined the 4x4 road with pylons alongside below Beinn Bhan (grid ref 293168) - I think it’s a more direct route to Torgyle Bridge, the terrain was lumpy but not too wet (last year was a dry crossing - it may be more challenging this year!).

I enjoyed the off-piste section - others who were at Cougie went all the way down the track to Hilton Lodge and joined the track to Torgyle Bridge there, but it’s an extra 6km walking to avoid 4km off path.

Like Louise, I did Cougie to Fort Augustus in a day - tough but doable!

The hospitality at Cougie is wonderful - I arrived early, had bacon butty for mid-afternoon snack, stayed on for dinner and camped on their lawn - five star treatment from Melanie.

Enjoy your visit.

We went that way in 2011, having stopped in Cougie for lunch after camping W end of Loch Affric the first night out from Shiel Bridge. Val (sadly missed) deputed one of the children (no doubt no longer a child) to show us exactly where the path started. Thereafter it was straightforward up, without much of a path, just up, and, as others have said, easy to follow the watercourse down to the wood.

That, however, was where the problems started. It didn't seem straightforward to continue down the watercourse but there was a track into the forest. Which of course we followed optimistically but which of course didn't last. After quite a long time wandering around we eventually forced our way back to the Allt na Muic, which, with my smattering of Gaelic, I had dubbed "a pig of a burn". We had a B&B booked in Dalreichart, with evening meal. They had eaten it themselves as we were so late, but did us some beans on toast.

I can't see any reason you shouldn't do it. Being navigationally challenged is something that can happen to anybody at any time, but this route in itself is not specially challenging. Good luck!

Vanessa

Hi Nigel

I see you have had plenty of good feedback here, but I will just add that the route over the Bealach and off piste to Alt Na Muic was precisely the one recommended by our vetter, so whilst my advice as a first timer is sketchy at best (!) I'm sure Roger's is not!
Alt Na Muic from Cougie was in fact our original plan, with a halt near Balnacarn south of the forestry and before the road (having previously read Andrew's description--thank you Andrew), but the route we eventually submitted instead included a change to head from the Bealach FnG towards Beinn Bhan and the LRT directly south to Torgyle Bridge. After hearing back from Roger who kindly vetted our route and suggested instead the Alt na Muic option, we are now back to plan A. We too are headed out from Loch Affric--Maybe we will see you en route!

Happy trails,
Martha

Wow thanks for all the advice, my mind it made up and going to change my first route to go this way. If the weather is good (aka 2018:sweat_smile: ) may route over Carn a Choire Ghlais & Carn a Choire Leith. There are some waterfalls down the Allt an Muic so plan to find a camp in that general area, google earth shown up a few spots.

Martha.
Looks like are routes cross, we will be heading out from top Loch Affric day 3 (Sun)!!

Coincidentally I was just looking at this as a FWA - interesting; thanks.