​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Route planning

Hi. What is the terrain like between the Weir north of Loch Rannoch (NN567611) and going around the forest to get to Loch Errochty and Blair Atholl the next day. There is an area that the contour lines look far apart and I think it may be a large Bog.

I am trying to avoid the road to the North or the South of Loch Rannoch. Any suggestions of a good camp spot on route?
Thanks, William

Re: Route planning

Hi William,

I went this way a few years ago. I joined the N edge of the forest just W of the weir having come from a camp at the S end of Loch Ericht. There is a path of sorts along the fence but is probably there only because the deer fence needed access for construction and maintenance, so not a major path. Quite a few small burns enter the forest, but I don't remember it being especially wet. Once you get to the LRT, progress improves and I remember the walk past Saunich in sun and strong wind to be very pleasant - again, no bog from memory.

I think I camped near Ruighe nan Saorach (with a Mr Mick Hopkins!) and then onwards to Blair Atholl the day after via tracks, the B847 and the B8079 (the pub at Stuan was not open - too early maybe?)

Hope this helps, Andy.

We came down from the NW to Saunich this year, so I can't comment on the forest.

The only thing I would add to Andy's summary is that the Allt Ruighe nan Saorach does meander and pool rather more than the map suggests. It also has more deep side gulleys to hop over or go around. But nothing serious - just tedious for a kilometre or so, and as Andy says, once you hit the track, the going is easy.

If anyone reading this is tempted to camp at Saunich, there are some good pitches, but don't even consider using the house. There were several dead sheep both inside and outside, and they whiffed a bit! :mask:

Thanks for the advice. I will go from the west end of Loch Rannoch to Loch Errochty and camp. Then on then to Blair Atholl. Then Glen Tilt. I will use the South of Loch Rannoch with a camp at Carie as a FWA.

William

William,

perhaps a bit late reply, but you might be interested in my 2011 route.

I took a more northern route from the southern tip of Loch Ericht, up and over Beinn Mholach, down to Duinish, up and over Creag a'Mhadaidh too my pitch on the south shore of Errochty.

You can zoom in on this google map to see my route (green line).

Simon Sawers camped in the ruin of Ruighe nan Saorach the night before, but I chose to pitch further on at NN 68650 64865.

All the best,

Bart Horeman

They smelled a lot!