​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Osprey Rucksacks

My GOLITE QUEST rucksack has seen better days and ,I am thinking of
Changing it for a Osprey rucksack .
ATMOS AG 65; KESTREL 58; and KESTREL 68 , looking for any good or bad advice on any of the above rucksacks .

Re: Osprey Rucksacks

I can't advise on those specific packs, however someone will be along to help shortly, I'm sure.

One bit of advice I can give is that it's vitally important that you buy the right size of Osprey pack that suits your back length. There's an app that will do it for you but in my experience it's iffy. It's FAR better to go to an Osprey dealer and have your back measured properly.

And another thing, just because the dealer has a strong high street presence doesn't mean that they know what they're doing.....I speak from experience!

Osprey packs don't really fit my particular frame although they are well made rucksacks with thoughtful features. A 65+ liter capacity? To me, that would be a winter-size pack. I do love my Gossamer Gear Gorilla which can take me from a weekend to 3 weeks, no matter the season. It doesn't have the framework of some of the more substantial workhorses, however, if you can keep your total weight to under 30 lbs, preferably 5 lbs less, I can recommend it without reservation. It only comes in the fashionable and grunge Seattle gray color tho' ;}

I used a 65l Osprey sack for my first two challenges.

There were two problems. i) The metal frame seemed to be too wide for my body (size is usually chosen based on back length)

and ii) more significantly the waist band was too thin and insubstantial to support the 14/15kg or so I carried without bruising my hips.

The model I think was an older version of the EXOS.

Possibly the packs you are considering are heavier and have better support.

Weight in my opinion can be the biggest factor in having a wonderful TGO crossing. Osprey packs are superb but I prefer a Duneemo pack from HMG (windrider) or Zpacks (ArcBlast) just to drop off almost a kilogram of weight. 55L capacity is more than adequate. WEIGH EVERYTHING then eliminate any grams you can. Some people have over a kg of toiletries when that can be easily below 300 gyms. I have used Osprey Talon in the past. As noted by others make sure to get fitted properly to have comfort and eliminate hip of meralgia issues and such. Base weight can defo be below 10kgs and below 5 if you work at it. See you at TGO. I start from Mallaig año my fourth go.

Dara
Weight in my opinion can be the biggest factor in having a wonderful TGO crossing. Osprey packs are superb but I prefer a Duneemo pack from HMG (windrider) or Zpacks (ArcBlast) just to drop off almost a kilogram of weight. 55L capacity is more than adequate. WEIGH EVERYTHING then eliminate any grams you can. Some people have over a kg of toiletries when that can be easily below 300 gyms. I have used Osprey Talon in the past. As noted by others make sure to get fitted properly to have comfort and eliminate hip of meralgia issues and such. Base weight can defo be below 10kgs and below 5 if you work at it. See you at TGO. I start from Mallaig año my fourth go.
Shame nobody wants my BARGAIN HMG Windrider 3400 55L

I agree about packs.

That said, a Gossamer Gear Gorilla or Mariposa are fine packs.

And I did quite a few Challenges using the 46L Exos

A windrider 3400 is a good pack for sure. Good luck selling it.
Dara

Used a few Ospreys back in the day, as others have said they are good packs but be sure to get one that fits you properly. The app should help otherwise actually trying them on and getting it fitted properly is super important.

I'll be bringing my ULA pack for my third Challenge. ULA hasn't let me down yet and you can't get new Golites anymore (although i think they are up and running under a different name with the same patents.)