​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Deeside way and Places (NOT) to Finish the Challenge

While there are many lovely places to finish your challenge, I can wholeheartedly NOT recommend Balmedie as a finish point unless:

1. you don't want a pub, restaurant or village, then its your place
2. you want to walk about a mile from the place they call Balmedie to the coast
3. when you do the mile walk, you find their sewer plant, that smells like - yes, you guessed it - a sewer plant
4. and, finally, you want your first experience of the east coast to be a fine view of oil rigs and the non-stop sound of helicopters taking crew out to them

Now, if all this has tempted to you to still finish at Balmedie, then you can't say you weren't warned :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

p.s. I did walk the Deeside Way (aka the Cappuccino Route) one year on the way to Stonehaven and really enjoyed it (perhaps it was the company? or the 4 hour pub/lunch stop?). But sometimes its nice not to have to navigate by compass the whole way across.....

Re: Deeside way and Places to Finish the Challenge

Hi Ian,

yes the AWPR was a nuisance last May, but they have created a tunnel at NO872918, so you can cross easily. It is on the latest OS Maps.

After the tunnel I crossed a field to reach the farm at NO874918, in stead of a detour of 800 meters.

Cheers,

BART

Re: Deeside way and Places to Finish the Challenge

Thanks Bart for posting this. I've planned my route to finish in Muchalls using your suggestions.