​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Firsttimer Dutchie says hi!

Hi all,

I am Marty, sister of Meriora and the two of us hope to make it to the eastcoast in May. We are Dutch, love hiking & camping, but we are fairly new to wildcamping. Wildcamping is only allowed on about 6 places in the Netherlands. We are definitely in for the challenge, but we try to keep our ambitions low(level) :blush: since this will be our first time. We think of starting in Mallaig and we are well on our way in plotting our route, but still have to figure out where to set our tents, find accommodations and resupply. I expect to drop some questions in this message board now and then, if that is allright with you? We are really excited and looking forward to join and meet lots of you.

Best wishes!

Re: Firsttimer Dutchie says hi!

Welcome to the TGOC. I am sure you will enjoy your trip across - although around day 3 to 4 you will say to each other “What the Hell am I doing here!” Just press on and you will return year after year.
W:laughing:

Yes, as William says, welcome to the Challenge. He is right about you asking why you are doing it - I hit that point every year at least once, but there are also many high spots. I hope you enjoy the wildcamping as much as I do. I think it is the best bit of the Challenge.

Welcome to the Challenge! It is always worth doing a search to see if your question has been asked recently, but please ask away and we will do our best to help.

Mr Grumpy made this reading list a few years ago, which might be helpful.

I personally find the websites Geograph, Walkhighlands and Bing Maps very helpful for route planning. If you don't already have this facility on your electronic maps, on Bing you can toggle between OS maps and aerial views.

Be careful - the Challenge is highly addictive!

Hi Girls!!! So excited for you. I am trying to decide between Mallaig or Shiel Bridge... weighing more on the Shiel Bridge side so I can finish the route I had for last year that I didnt finish. I did hop over to the Netherlands after my hike and spent 5 fun filled busy days in and around Oss. I found my love of Krokets... I think i spelled that wrong... YUM!!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you and your sister.

Welcome Marty! You are joining a club with lots of Dutch members already, some of whom have been back about 15 times! as Emma says, it's addictive.
With two of you the weight of tent and cooking gear can be shared. Never underestimate the value of travelling as light as possible while still having enough things for safety and bad weather.
If you choose to go through small towns you can buy food there, but otherwise you may need to send supplies parcels to post offices or other places who will accept them so that you can collect them as you pass that way. With careful planning it is only necessary to carry food for 3 days at a time.
Hope to meet you in May.

Welcome to the challenge, lots of good advice on here. I started my first tgo this from year from Mallaig and thought it offered a fantastic experience straight into the wild beauty that Scotland offers. Any questions on routes re supply just ask.

Welcome Marty and Meriora!

Mallaig is a beautiful start point, I'm sure you'll love it :relaxed: I started from Mallaig when I did my first Challenge in 2004.

The train journey is spectacularly beautiful too - make sure you have your camera ready.

The Message Board is the place to ask any questions, there's lots of experienced backpackers here.

Best wishes for a great crossing - see you both in Scotland!

Tot ziens!

JJ

As they all say : Scotland is addictive !
Have you been to Scotland before ?

Hi Theo. Yes, I have been to Scotland. Few years ago, I think it was 2014. Fell in love with it immediately. Skye was marvellous (hiked the Quiraing in the rain and fog). But I loved every bit of nature. Been to Orkney too. That was completely different.

You're not new to camping and have done some walking in Scotland but it's difficult to get hillfitt in our somewhat flat country :slightly_smiling_face: do some walks for 2 or 3 days together, especially when the weather is bad and cold :rain_cloud: . Practise pitching your tent together and living in that small space. Don't wait for nice weather :sunny: (almost) everybody can pitch a tent in good weather and you'll have plenty of that in Scotland during one of the tuesdays in May 2019 :circus_tent: