​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mountain rescue + Bristow Helicopters

I bring you some very disturbing news from Mountain Rescue.

A few years ago search and rescue was privaisted - for various reasons - and Bristow Helicopters got the contract. However, all is not well and four mountain rescue teams have issued a statement criticising the contract. The contents of the letter are below and it is a long letter but to summarize:

1. Bristow Helicopters are contracted to rescue people in distress.

Mountain rescue volunteers are not in distress, even if that means a four hour walk back to the car park from the Cairngorm Plateau in a storm. Previously RAF / army / RN helicopter would take them off. From the Cairngorm plateau to a car park in Aviemore in a helicopter takes less than 5 minutes.

2. A body is not a person in distress. Therefore Bristow helicopters are not taking them off the mountains, meaning mountain rescue have to carry them for miles and down several thousand feet.

I have been on the Cairngorm plateau and it is a quite incredible place to be, with alpine plants, ptarmigan and Arctic tundra. I cannot get over my anger and fury over what has gone on. I don't know what to say or do right now but I am really angry.

The letter;

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/mountain-rescue-teams-criticise-search-and-rescue-helicopter-contract/0018767/

Re: Mountain rescue + Bristow Helicopters

This is disgraceful...although hardly unexpected.
The story we were 'sold' was that the new service would be equal to, if not better than the service provided by the RAF....at a lower cost.
IMHO the mistake MRTs made was to believe the government's spin.

Sadly this is exactly what a lot of us thought would happen, once profit (most likely) became the main motivator for the service.
Some things cannot be privatised IMHO.

Have a read of this from Lochaber MRT

Thanks to Michael Glass for the heads-up.