​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Long shot on camp spot

Weather depending, I'm looking at the possibility of a high camp on or near NN828847 just off the watershed south of Point 912.

Anyone camped on or near this area on/just off the watershed? - heading east along the watershed.

Re: Long shot on camp spot

Hello Gordon

I don't yet have first hand experience but I planned to camp at the headwaters of the Allt Damh Dubh in 2017. My vetter, Colin Crawford, described it as a "delicious location". Sadly ankle problems and a bad forecast meant I had to forego the walk from Leathad an Taobhain to Loch Tilt but we have it on this year's route again so, weather permitting, we might see you up there.

Gordon I camped there this year, by the burn (headwater of the Feshie just E of the 912m top). I dropped down there to get a bit of shelter from the wind but there's plenty of spots to camp in that area and great views of course. There's some pics on my write up.

RIGHT CLICK TO BLOW UP BIGLY HUGE!

Lord Elpus, Mad'n'Bad and I went that way in 2013. The exact spot you've described Gordon is just to the left of Mr Walker's head. The hill top right is Point 912.

It's not particularity sheltered but a Trailstar pitched low would probably be fine, Sir.

Oh. Wait. You don't use one any more...

:face_with_rolling_eyes:

Our day that year went something like THIS

:relaxed:

Thanks Ali and Willie, a couple of good areas to consider. Both have the attraction of dropping down a bit from the wind. I've had the watershed in mind for a number of years - fingers crossed for the chance to do it in May.

Alan, I have tried to pick a route where you haven't yet been: failing miserably. My first few days in May will be spent looking out for your footprints!

I still miss my Trailstar - but reckon my Tramplite can handle any conditions that the Trailstar could. Neither could have coped with my second night's pitch in 2011 - in a storm high above Glen Etive. The Trailstar stayed up, but, so did I. :disappointed:

What a wonderful day!

Ahhhh, Memories.

Looking at Al's blog, I was a bit of a Porker back then.

My take on the very same day