​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blar na Caillich Buidhe

Has anyone tried to cross this area of peat moss South of Morar? How did you get on?

Re: Blar na Caillich Buidhe

Hi Janet,

This won't be a popular choice of route and you only need to glance at the map symbols and peruse the aerial imagery in order to understand why. I've never been there but I'd bet a fair sum that it'll involve an hour (or more) of sheer purgatory as you teeter over unstable tussocks and try to avoid the frequent pools of stagnant water.

Is there any need to suffer the discomfort though? In the aerial image, a fine beach is shown along the shore of Camas Ruadh bay, neatly avoiding most, if not all, of the nastiness. If you're intent on gaining the wild country south of Loch Morar, I'd suggest that this may be the way to go. No promises though and no responsibility taken if the going is awful!

Does that help?

Colin

Re: Blar na Caillich Buidhe

I am thinking along the same lines as you Colin. Have found some Geograph photos suggesting that the loch shore is fine - alternatively skirt close to the railway line that follows an embankment. Why is it, having planned the route in June 2018 immediately on the return from the previous challenge, that when its time to actually submit a route, doubts (?reality) start setting in?