​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Routes east from Torridon avoiding the tarmac?

Hi Vanessa.

Thanks for the info. I realise where the boundary is and have now worked out a start going S over the bridge and turning E then SE aiming for Gerry's Hostel. This is just provisional planning, as we may not even start at Torridon. I appreciate the sentiment in your message and would never copy another's route although duplication is sometimes difficult to avoid. Thanks again and hopefully, if I'm invited again this year, our paths will cross somewhere en-route.

Very best.

Trevor

You're welcome. It's an area I love with so many different options for routes to Gerry's. (As Gerry is no longer with us, now run by his son - or it was last time I stayed).

One thing you won't find on either the 1:50 or 1:25 maps is the Old Pony Track, taken by the Ettrick Shepherd back in the day, although I'm pretty sure it's in Scottish Hill Tracks. If you find yourself descending towards Glen Carron on the Coulin pass there is a path coming down from the bend at NH 241 496 that takes you more directly down to the road about half a mile west of the hostel. It's marked at both ends by a green footpath sign.

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa
I went that way in 2017 and was looking for the little track you mention. You can see a photo of where it leaves the main track here. Although the Scotways sign is still there, the little track has sadly been turned into a bulldozed monstrosity.

Emma, thanks. I've used it a couple of times, but I last went in 2016 so hadn't seen recent changes. What a shame.

Vanessa

:blush: f yes,,