​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dirc an Uillt Fhearna

I *do* like this place!

:grinning:

You ask a pretty obscure question in the morning and arrive home just in time for bed to find all the answers that you desire are laid out before you!

Thank you Colin. I still shudder at memories of Dirc Mhor; done on a scorcher of a day with the heat radiating from the cliff walls either side and the wobbling boulders the size of cars all around you. I've taken a good look at Google 3D view now and I think you're spot on.

Norm: Cheers fella - I had spotted the LRT on some photos from a Scottish walking website, but it's the Dirc we want to visit. There must be around a dozen of them in the Upper Spey Valley, all pointing down the line of the original huge glacier/ice sheet in its various formulations. Dirc an Uillt Fhearna also cuts across a pretty impressive Esker that runs down to Loch Crunachden, that we should be able to get a good look at on our way to the top entrance to the Dirc.

Peter: Spot on.

Paul: I see Louise has got there before me.

Louise: Thank you my lovely! You're a star.

Now all I need to do is plot Days 7-14. That'll be tomorrow's job. And perhaps Wednesday's too.

Thank you everyone!

Alan
xx

And the Dirc Beag is not for the faint-hearted either. Went into there from the east a couple of weeks ago and decided not to continue around Lochan na Doire-uaine under the crags on the south side but picked my way back again.

Yes, Kirsten, not for the faint hearted. We trotted down to Lochan na Doire-uaine to have a stab at the lesser Dirc after abandoning Dirc Mhor. We thought it looked OK from our 1:50 map, but it wasn't!

All in all it was a very trying day! :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Have you tried the Ca ma’ Choire? From the summit of A’ Bhuidheanach wander down the Allt a’ Chama Choire to end up at Sronphadruig Lodge. An interesting little excursion.

Peter, as soon as you use the word "interesting" I tend to substitute "knee wrenching" or "terrifying". :joy:

Oh Phil, you know me so well!:innocent:

Ah. The Cama' Choire.
:face_with_rolling_eyes:

I went that way with a much younger Mr Leyland in 1998 after A'Bhuidheanach Bheag on the way to the Lodge. Apparently Terry had left a bottle of whisky down there the year before and wanted to repatriate it. Quite why he had left a bottle of whisky to its fate I never understood. However, having taken one look at the hell hole beneath, (I had already unwittingly been Munro Bagging with the blighter) I put my foot down and instead we slithered our way round to Am Meadar and the plunge down to the Lodge.

And then, THEN, the b*st*rd cooked onions, garlic and chillies in olive oil in a pan only feet from my Akto as I was preparing dehydrated Rabbit's Droppings!

Pah! Rocky Gorges were nothing compared to that torture!