​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bramaer to Ballater

Straightfrward on the path out of Braemar . you can indeed walk through the estate and it is lovely. When you arrive at the estate do get water from the river when you cross the bridge as further into the estate water is scarce. On arriving at the little Castle Her Majesty has do not pitch right on the front lawn as the Corgis will get you.
There is a lovely area to pitch is you cross the river and go to the right down by the river past the Parking lot. Fairly secluded and with water and shelter.
My preference is to go to Calater lodge for the celebrations then over via Loch Nagar.
See you in May perhaps.
Dara, Ottawa

Dara, that's awesome mate, thank you.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I did the Challenge this year and used the DSW into Aberdeen. I’d originally intended doing the Tarfside/North Water Bridge route to St Cyrus. As Brian says the DSW is very straightforward but when I got to Aberdeen I found that the harbour at Nigg Bay was undergoing extensive renovation work and I had to have a good look round to find some water to dip my foot in at the end of the day. I’d probably bale and head for Stonehaven if I was doing that particular part again. DSW has its merits but wild camping spots weren’t particularly abundant.

All the best
Paul

The hike from Ballater to the coast is not very pleasant. All road and some nasty motorway too. Camped at the Twelve Stanes which was fine. But I would not really recommend that route . It depends on your fitness of course. The Saturday night up at Callater Lodge though ----- wonderful even if dragging ones tail up the mountain the next day was a challenge in itself.