​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bramaer to Ballater

There is the Lion's Face path out of Braemar, or if you walk the footpath along the road out of Braemar past Braemar Castle there is a gate to your right through the fence. A small path then follows the fenceline and exits onto the A93 at the same place as the Lion's Face path, approx NO 169 918. A short, careful walk along A93 heading east of around 1.5 km to a gate on the right before Invercauld Bridge NO 183 910 which leads you onto the Balmoral Estate. You will find details of your preferred route through the estate in the Event Details once you have your place. Once you exit the grounds east of Balmoral Castle, my advice would be to take the B976, there's less dicing with death than on the A93 and plenty opportunities to take a break and a boot rest.

Thanks Louise,

That's really helpful. Fingers crossed for a place this year.

Kind regards

Shaun

My pleasure 😊

Something to maybe think about is whether Polhollick Bridge will be usable by May.
The bridge was badly damaged in winter storms a couple of winters ago. Aberdeenshire Council have plans to straighten and repair the bridge but I am not sure of the time schedule. https://tinyurl.com/yd5ue4qf

If the bridge is repaired in time, there is a very pleasant, waymarked, path along the North side of the Dee which isn't shown even on large scale OS maps. The path follows the Dee until the confluence with the Gairn then up west bank of the Gairn to a footbridge near the farm, NO 35212 97034, past the farm without going onto the busy A93 at NO 35302 97063 and then along the old tramway into Ballater. The path was built to improve the popular 7 bridges walk around Ballater. It is a bit overgrown at the moment due to the path being less used as a result of the circular walk no longer being possible and a small footbridge has been damaged in the same storm that wrecked the suspension bridge, but I'm sure that if the steel bridge is repaired the footbridge will also be repaired.

If the bridge is usable, you would leave the B976 at NO 33481 95579 Anyone who is on their last legs and unable to make the last few miles into Ballater could make use of good wild camping opportunities between Polhollick Bridge and the confluence of the Gairn and Dee.

If the bridge is still closed and you are forced to stay on the B976, the stretch between Bridge of Muick and Ballater is not too pleasant as you are forced to walk on a busy narrow road with no footpath and blind bends.

A similar situation exists to the east of Ballater where there used to be a very pleasant alternative to the Deeside Way by staying in woodland on the south side of the Dee until you got to Cambus o'May bridge, but that bridge was also wrecked and I haven't seen any plans to repair it.

Many thanks Brian, really useful information, particularly the wild camping info.

Cheers

Shaun

According to this article, the work is planned to be starting soon but there was no sign of anything happening yet this last weekend when I was down there.https://tinyurl.com/y7kbbeko
Hopefully there isn't a repeat of 2015 when the bridge was opened again after a refurbishment in October and got wrecked at the end of December.

I have a feeling, but no real evidence, that if this quite innovative method of repair works they may also attempt it at Cambus O'May as the damage there was very similar to Polhollick.

Shaun, there are some nice grassy areas around NO 34655 96722, with boulder/shingle beach along the edge of the river just asking for a wee fire to be safely lit. There is also a flat grassy area around NO 35239 96718

I checked and going via the bridge or staying on the South Deeside road take exactly the same distance to get to the old railway station in Ballater.

Thanks Brian, if we meet please remind me to buy you a pint.

Regards

Shaun

Hi Shaun

For something completely different, and to avoid both the A93 and B976, I like to head SE to Gelder Shiel bothy at NO 275900. You miss Balmoral but it's great for open spaces and good tracks and the bothy was done up a few years ago and is stunning.

From there I usually yomp across to the track by Little Conachraig as the path by the burn is dodgy and then SE to Allt-na-ghiubhsaich. From there you have either a lovely walk NE along a very quiet track/road to Mill of Sterin where you cross the R Muick and on to Ballater or SE to Spittal of Glenmuick and the delights of Sheilin of Mark, Glen Lee and Tarside.

For some reason I always end up in Braemar late morning, so the half day walk out to Gelder Shiel is perfect after a resupply and a good nosh.

Vanessa

Thanks Vanessa, that looks an interesting option.
If I'm lucky to get a place this year it'll be my first time in the event and so I was looking at the safe option of using the Deeside Way into Aberdeen.
But never say never and all advice is greatly received.

Shaun

The DSW, being in the main on old railway is certainly mostly flat, straight and well surfaced, being designed for use by buggies, cycles, horses, wheelchairs and everything else. I understand quite a few challengers resorted to using it this year because they were suffering from strains and sore bits, probably because of the good weather and harder ground conditions and just wanted to get to the sea and complete the challenge. It doesn't show the area in its best light though, especially if you head all the way into Aberdeen where the route goes through a lot of cuttings and housing estates. Typically most folks who do use the DSW either deliberately or as a bail-out option only use it as far as Banchory and then cut across towards Stonehaven.
I'm not trying to discourage you from using it, especially if you really are looking for the easiest option, but I suggest maybe keeping it as a fallback and look at more interesting alternatives as your primary route. At the end of the day you don't need to make a decision until Braemar/ Ballater when you will have a better idea of health and stamina and the weather forecast for the next few days. There is a lot of info published on the DSW which is being improved all the time.http://www.deesideway.org/ There are actually long term plans to extend it to Braemar.

Thanks again Brian for your wise words. It might be time to stop underestimating myself and see what other options are available to me.

Cheers

Shaun

Straightfrward on the path out of Braemar . you can indeed walk through the estate and it is lovely. When you arrive at the estate do get water from the river when you cross the bridge as further into the estate water is scarce. On arriving at the little Castle Her Majesty has do not pitch right on the front lawn as the Corgis will get you.
There is a lovely area to pitch is you cross the river and go to the right down by the river past the Parking lot. Fairly secluded and with water and shelter.
My preference is to go to Calater lodge for the celebrations then over via Loch Nagar.
See you in May perhaps.
Dara, Ottawa

Dara, that's awesome mate, thank you.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I did the Challenge this year and used the DSW into Aberdeen. I’d originally intended doing the Tarfside/North Water Bridge route to St Cyrus. As Brian says the DSW is very straightforward but when I got to Aberdeen I found that the harbour at Nigg Bay was undergoing extensive renovation work and I had to have a good look round to find some water to dip my foot in at the end of the day. I’d probably bale and head for Stonehaven if I was doing that particular part again. DSW has its merits but wild camping spots weren’t particularly abundant.

All the best
Paul

The hike from Ballater to the coast is not very pleasant. All road and some nasty motorway too. Camped at the Twelve Stanes which was fine. But I would not really recommend that route . It depends on your fitness of course. The Saturday night up at Callater Lodge though ----- wonderful even if dragging ones tail up the mountain the next day was a challenge in itself.