​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wind farm location map

From my experience William, you can wander through a completed windfarm, there will only be restrictions during construction. You may not want to pitch too close due to the amount of concrete at the base and I find the sound unnerving, but they aren't dangerous per se. I find them unsettling. So, if you had to, you should be safe.
I'm sure someone else will be along to say I'm totally wrong, but I've wandered through a few locally and never had a problem, more likely to happen across another walker or bizarrely birdwatchers.

The wind turbine noise can travel a couple of kilometres under certain weather conditions and be very annoying over the long term. Many rural residents have been driven to despair by long term noise torture but for one night you are probably talking about the same amount of discomfort as sharing a bothy with a noisy snorer.

I won't bore people with details, you can look them up yourself, but basically the scandal is that planning permission for wind farms is assessed using a noise standard called ETSU-R-97, which ridiculously was created by the wind industry themselves using a puppet organisation called the Institute of Acoustics which sounds like a credible professional organisation but which is actually dominated by wind industry mercenary consultants. Any other industrial activity is measured for noise impact using a totally different standard (BS4142).

ETSU-R-97 is severely flawed but was endorsed by successive UK energy secretaries who were highly pro windfarm development and continues to be used by the Scottish Government who are wind farm fanatics. One of the main flaws is the assumption that wind turbine noise only comes direct from each individual turbine, decreases with distance from the turbine and can be masked by other noise, especially the wind itself. In reality there is a phenomenon known as EAM where very low frequency thumps and bumps can travel long distances. It is this noise that drives people barmy the most.https://scotlandagainstspin.org/download/17515/.
ETSU is so ridiculous it even allows wind farms to create more noise at night, when people are likely to be trying to sleep, than in the daytime.
Of course no wind farm was ever assessed with regard to noise impact on itinerant campers, even full time residents are ignored.

I understand that in the 19th century there were around 9,000 windmills in Holland.

A windmill is one thing Humphrey, a 135m high, wind turbine is something entirely different. One turns canvas covered sails slowly and gracefully, probably pumping water off farmland into a drainage ditch the other turns enormous fibreglass and epoxy blades at speeds with the tips approaching the speed of sound, rapidly pumping money tonnes of money out of the pockets of utility bill payers and into the bank accounts of rich land owners and foreign owned utility companies.
I have never heard of a windmill killing large numbers of birds and bats.
Even Windy Miller's famous mill only made a musical noise for a few minutes, it didn't affect the physical and mental health of the residents of Camberwick Green by 24/7 noise torture.

And now there are nine-million bicycles in Beijing - that's a fact. Even more scary

Hi Neil

All your needs are met in this blog post I wrote in October 2016:

Planning a wind farm-free TGO Challenge

And of course, the latest blight to screw up the Highlands is run of the river hydro schemes. I wrote this back in February of this year, with links to the Highland Council mapping for the schemes on their patch. Note: This only covers about half the Challenge area.

Scottish Highland Hydro Scheme Mapping

And the very best of British planning your route!

Alan

As I have mentioned above Alan, Aberdeenshire Council do now have a map https://gis.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/maps/map.aspx?x=337908&y=813529&resolution=200&epsg=27700&mapname=aberdeenshire&baseLayer=OS%20Greyscale&datalayers=Wind%20Turbine%20Applications%20,selectFeaturesControl_container
and the excellent CAWT website that you link to has sadly shut down.

Many thanks all for the help and useful links.

Sadly it looks as though it will be quite a challenge to avoid them.

I bet the veteran challengers see many areas changed for the worse over their years of walking