​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ferry to Bonawe

I'm no fan of road walking but, if you can't find a ferryman, there are worse roads to wander than the one from Connel Bridge to Bonawe. It's a quiet lane for the most part, bordered by broadleaved woodland and there are points of interest along the way, such as the small and austere Ardchattan church and the nearby priory.

Colin

Thanks Colin, its always good to hear from someone with first hand knowledge. Are there any decent camping spots you'd recommend near Bonawe?

The area immediately around Bonawe isn't very pitching friendly, with quite a few houses and a large, active quarry at the end of the road. You'd need to continue on the RoW through the quarry and look along the Loch Etive shore. I recall nothing obvious but then, anytime I've been that way, I haven't been looking, more intent on reaching Cadderlie bothy. That was my first night out this year, in company of two other Challengers and a few other folk. And it was a memorable, social evening round the fire. If bothies aren't your thing, pitching is plentiful and pleasant on the shore below.

Admittedly, aiming for Cadderlie as your overnight point does make for a long first day, though the going is easy on roads or tracks and with negligible ascent. I was there by mid afternoon. I'd imagine that you'd probably find some suitable pitching along Loch Etive if the distance seems a bit much.

Colin

Thanks again Colin, it's always good to have another option, especially in the form of a recommended bothy.

Cheers

Shaun

I agree with Colin. I stayed at Cadderlie bothy 2 years ago, and although it's a long day it's a pleasant and interesting walk. And walking through to Taynault from Oban you are on road as well.

Thanks Annie, it certainly seems like the best option.

Many thanks