​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another walk story & a thanks for all your journals and blogs

Brian

I saw the thread about your route but had already submitted mine and been approved so was happy to see some of it overlap with my inexperienced guesses. I considered changing and copying your exact route, but felt I should stay true to mine and all the winter's work that went into it for good or bad. Seeing that a good bit of it had been ground-verified by a local expert was very heartening to me.

That "mini-stile" was much appreciated and well deserves a pint on my next visit! I've crossed many a fence like that with worse results and was thrilled to find your improvements.

My camp on the Bervie was chosen by the first good spot I could find on a very long day. I had originally planned to follow along the West Burn of Builg from the windfarm, but unless I missed the track the one I found was overgrown and rough going so I turned back and looped south.

I have since read a few journals with opinions on both sides of the Fetteresso. I personally enjoyed the walk although the packed roads were rough on the knees and it was a long day. Paved roads south would have been no better for my knees. Being interested in forestry practices and differences in the US and UK I enjoyed it although had to wait for a logger to finish stacking at one point then dash through a closed area with a wave (wearing a bright orange wind shirt for safety) to avoid a long backtrack.

Thanks for your efforts in vetting out that route on the ground!

Cheers
Phil

Great Blog Phil! I enjoyed reading it :)

Thanks Sally. I enjoyed writing it and finally remembered to share it!