​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Transferring gas from one cannister to another

Brilliant. Thanks everyone

Hi Janet,
I bought a Gas-saver valve following Alan Sloman's helpful post and it has more than paid for itself. I now buy a c. 400g gas once a year and tap it off into other used cylinders as needed.
A few precautions though:
1. I weigh the receiver and donor cylinders before and after to ensure that I do not overcharge the receiver and can account for the gas.
2. I carry out the actual transfer in the open air on a day with some breeze.
3. I put the receiver cylinder in the freezer for c. 30 mins and just warm the donor cylinder in my hands or in the sun.
I've never had much success in completely emptying a nearly empty cylinder other than by burning off the gas left in it. And I use a "Crunchit" tool to make my empties safe for recycling.

I use Kirsten's 'freezer' method - it's certainly more effective than doing the transfer with cylinders at ambient temperature.

Kirsten you are now addressing another topic that has caused me concern - how does one recycle gas cannisters. Is it safe to put them in metal recycling. I am sure my bin man will take issue. And another matter - and they are related. Has anyone done the Cambrian Way. Am I alone in being unconvinced by the route. (This is not a major problem, routes are there to be adapted). And does anyone else share my frustration with the official guide book - especially the line maps, the pompous style and the habit of putting text on a different page to the map, the spelling mistakes ..... I could go on for quite a long time about this so perhaps I should shut up.

I can only address the recycling of gas canisters - using the CrunchIt tool after emptying, https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/jetboil-crunchit-tool-d3254011.html?colour=180
as mentioned by Kirsten, is the easiest way to enable you to recycle emptied canisters.

I use Kirsten's 'freezer method' method too, to use up 'dreg ends' of canisters. I use a Sharpie, writing on the bottom of the can after each trip, to keep tabs on their weight and know roughly how much gas I need per meal/brew-up, depending on conditions.

I don't have a crunchit tool - I am lucky here that aerosols and small canisters go in the recycling collection.

Re Dregs of gas

Hi folks.

I have been refilling cartridges for a couple of years now.

I may be teaching my grandmother...

But:

If you use dregs of old cartridges to refill a canister, be aware that the dregs will be mostly pure butane.

The performance of a refilled canister as gets emptier and in cooler ambient temperature, will be pretty poor compared with the original butane/propane mix.

Save these cartridges for summer temperatures. Not a TGO! Else disappointment may ensue. Unless of course you find a way to warm the cartridge as you use it.

If you refill a completely empty cartridge from a new larger cartridge you get pretty much the original mix, so these cartridges perform ok.

Locally I found a store that was selling Coleman Power gas 500g cartridges - 6 for £20! Happy days.

On the subject of recycling. I run down the cartridge empty, then just pierce with a hammer and chisel. Recycling is fine.