​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My challenge diary: Kilchoan - St Cyrus

You did a massive day to get to the cheese & wine, Paul - and wine in a glass bottle too!

RESPECT :wine_glass: :+1:

It was a big day Phil, I was exhausted by the end of it but wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Good to read about your trip Paul.

Hi Paul excellent read. I was the guy you met who walked through the South side of Claish Bog, then followed the coast, from Tom Liath, to the Bridge across the river Polloch. Not something I would recommend {impossible without poles}. Very muddy, wet and Hags like walking over 3 miles of dead cows! Still it made the rest of the Challenge seem comparatively easy.

Neil, that was an extraordinary achievement walking through Claish Bog I genuinely felt in awe of you for doing that, but like you said not something you would recommend. As an alternative, what about walking along the sides of the loch all the way from Acharacle? I don't know how firm that shoreline would be, but it could be a viable alternative.

I'm not sure what the coast is like from Acharacle, I joined the coast North of Tom Liath and followed it to camp at the derelict pier after Achnanellan. and that worked fine it was on Stoney beaches. About 1 mile after the Jetty the beach disappeared and I had to climb inland and dodge between trees on the slopes for a mile until the beach reappeared at Camas Bhalthain for 3/4 of a mile. After that there was no beach so I followed a deer fence inland through the trees to the marsh where the River Pulloch joins Loch Schiel. It was then very hard going from there to reach the bridge. After that I dried my feet changed my socks and walked on to camp at the car park a mile east of Glenfinnan.

Good to read about your Challenge, Paul! And congrats for the first one you completed!

Your account brings back happy memories, for instance about a wonderful camp at the lighthouse on Point of Ardnamurchan.

Strange that you could not find the forest paths from Achnanellan to Polloch, despite the map that I posted on this thread: http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=757451871&frmid=14&msgid=792983&cmd=show

It was nice meeting you at Euston and sharing a pint with me.

...still have to write up my Challenge...

BART