​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Replacing an Akto

Mmmmm. 900gm. That's almost half the weight of the Akto ...

No stoppit Andy! :scream:

I was curious after hearing during this year's walk about high import fees into the UK, so I looked up a Hilleberg Atko to see how much it would cost here in the US. Answer: about $600 or so. How does that compare to the price in the UK?

That's about what I spent on my latest Zpacks tent (the altaplex).

If someone knows, I'd also like to know how much a Zpacks altaplex would cost in the UK, after import fees and shipping and taxes.

Kent

An Akto is around £500 = approx U$740. The price difference was much greater a few years ago.
I'd thought of picking up a new Akto a few years ago when on one of my visits to USA but there really wasn't much point, mine is 12+ years old and is nowhere near 'end of life'.

I'm not mithered about fast cars or too much booze so I'll spend the money I've saved on something else.... :innocent:

Something to remember when comparing US prices with the UK is US prices are often quoted pre sales tax. Sales tax in the US varies from about 10% to zero. In the UK we have VAT at 20%. The pre VAT dollar price for an Akto in JJ’’s example would be approximately $617. When people complain about higher prices in the UK, it’s worth bearing in mind that a significant part of that is accounted for by the different tax rates.

If you are importing a product from the US, under normal circumstances you will be charged tax, possibly duty and probably a handling charge, making US products imported into the UK considerably more expensive than the headline figure. There are several websites that will calculate this for you.

Here is the Government page explaining this https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Note you pay VAT on the goods, postal costs and any duty levied, which ramps up the cost. The Post Office will also charge you a handling fee for the privilege.

Good points raised there Robin.

In addition it's worth noting that you may encounter warranty claim problems. Quite a few US sellers specify 'Not for export'. If you managed to buy an Akto or whatever on a trip to the USA, bring it back to UK and then find it has a fault you'd quite possibly be, er, stuffed.

Yep. I have been very impressed with the Trailstar/Oooknest combo - especially the space (you can invite friends round for dinner!).

The only thing I would say is that it sometimes seems a bit fiddly to hook the nest's loops onto the pegs as you have to do it from the inside, but that's a very minor niggle compared with the advantages.

Still happy with my Akto though! :+1:

I have both the Tarptent Notch and Trailstar - but not an Akto. I moved from the Trailstar looking for something which had a smaller footprint, but have gone back to it as it is 'bomb-proof' in bad weather. I took the Tarptent Notch on the Cape Wrath Trail at Easter 2017 and had some rough nights in it. I have been happy in it during calmer weather though, and am intending on taking it down to Cornwall later this summer.

Suffice to say that I LOVE my Trailstar. It can be pitched in some very strange circumstances as it is very adaptable. On the 2018 Challenge I camped very late one evening in an odd space on just 4 pegs, wrapping the tarp back on itself and sliding under the side to get in. You couldn't adapt a conventional tent like that....

I'm utterly confused. Why would anybody go to the US to buy a SWEDISH tent? Are they really cheaper there?

Ulla. Exchange rates do very strange things!