​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Campsite bookings

I keep seeing mention of booking campsites. I have always just rolled/staggered/hobbled up without a problem. My last Challenge was 13 years ago. Have things changed since then? Do I need to think about booking? I don't really like to be tied down like that.

Re: Campsite bookings

I don't generally book and have never had a problem, the only one that you might want to is Montrose, but I don't camp there. Ballater can get busy as the Challenge coincides with the Ballater Walking Festival I think and an orienteering event at Balmoral.

The other campsite that can become full is Braemar. The Saturday night tends to be very busy. Other than Braemar, Ballater and Montrose I'd never consider booking a campsite.

Ian C.

Check to see if the campsites that you intend to use belong to caravan club, if they do I advise you to book. I was caught out one year rolling up to Campsite in Stonehaven, it used to belong to local authority but had been sold onto caravan club and number of pitches reduced, something to do with planning application, size of tent was not a consideration.

Thanks all.
I'm going to be in Braemar on the middle Sunday, so I'm thinking it will be less busy than the Saturday.

Byron
Check to see if the campsites that you intend to use belong to caravan club, if they do I advise you to book. I was caught out one year rolling up to Campsite in Stonehaven, it used to belong to local authority but had been sold onto caravan club and number of pitches reduced, something to do with planning application, size of tent was not a consideration.
Just in case anyone else is looking at campsites still (I guess you are all geared up and ready to go by now though!) ... Stonehaven site is very small as it is primarily a caravan site - we had not planned on camping there but got in a day early so we rocked up (on the 2017 trip). The owner was very good though and made adjustments due to the small size of our tents.

Quite a lot of others also turned up without booking and I think he managed to get everyone in so I have to say that they were extremely helpful but beware that you might have issues if there are already people booked with family tents etc.

Good luck everyone :)

Rob, I'm coming to this post late, but my experience is that the problem is less about them being full (except Braemar, Ballater and Montrose, as has already been said) but about whether they take tents at all. So many don't any more, so it's worth checking.