​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Travel from Inverness to Shiel Bridge

Hi everyone... Not long now until we all start our little walk!

I am just looking for some local knowledge/ shared past experience.
I am flying into Inverness from Bristol on the 12th. Arriving at 0825. I am looking at getting the bus at 0910 from Inverness Bus station (not sure if it gives me enough time to get to the bus station though!) to my start point at Shiel Bridge.

My question is- does anyone know if there are other buses going to Shiel Bridge at other times that will give me more time to get to the bus station from the airport?

I hope everyone's preparations are going well.

Re: Travel from Inverness to Shiel Bridge

According to Traveline Scotland
(https://www.travelinescotland.com)

There is a bus from Inverness Departing at 12:59 Arriving Shiel Bridge at 15:28 with a change at Invergarry.

OR

You can catch the 13:35 train from Inverness arriving at Kyle of Lochalsh at 16:12 then the bus at 16:25 direct to Shiel Bridge arriving at 16:49

Try this:
http://www.traveline.info

I could be wrong, but I don't think you'll be catching that bus from Inverness, the airport is a little distance from the city centre and takes about 25 mins. And just beware when you catch the bus from the airport, the number 11 does a loop between Inverness and Nairn, stopping at the airport both ways. Don't go to Nairn!!

Excellent thank you. Your replies have answered my question!

Good luck with your trip, it sounds like you are beginning your trip exactly as we did ours last year Bristol > Inverness > Shiel Bridge

When we flew up we spent a bit longer in Inverness and got the later citylink from Inverness to Shiel Bridge. I don't remember the trip from the airport to Inverness bus station being too long and we had loads of time to get some gas and have refreshments.

The bus trip took a while but the scenery was lovely and the way into Shiel Bridge really sets you up for what's to come, especially if you've not been to Scotland before like us I think we got to Shiel Bridge around 5pm, walked the rest of the way to the Hotel (although I expect the bus stopped there anyway but I don't know) and luckily ran into a couple of chaps who pointed us towards a nice camping spot on the shore of Loch Duich.

Look out for the otters which was a nice view to have while eating breakfast before signing out. If you want any last minute info on the location feel free to email me and I'll help with what I can.