​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boots, walking/trail shoes or both?

Thanks, Dara. Great advice. I have just looked at the Altura Lone Peak (suggested in a previous post). They look perfect for the Challenge. I will be taking my faithful Crocs to slip into at the end of the day. Plenty of foot balm and dry socks and a warm foot box on the quilt should keep them right.

Fred/Dara

How do the Alta's go for sizing?

Barry T

Sizing on Altra Lone Peak 3.5
I usually wear a 9 or 9.5 but in the Lone Peak I wear a 10 . So you need to up a bit from your regular. Those are American sizes. I like the more open toebox freedom but still need a snug heel. I ALWAYS bring tape and compeeds etcetera and sometimes some cream for the sheer unadulterated pleasure of it.
Biggest effort now is that I am seeing a trainer for thirty minutes twice a week so he is making me improve hamstrings, gluts and upper back muscle activity. Gluts and hamstrings are crucial as without them being strong then your quads compensate and increase risk of injury.
I am also overcoming my inertia to get into the swimming pool and swim lengths three times a week.
Everything to reduce any injury risk and be happier and fitter and dancing over the highlands!

I have very broad feet, size 42 normally. I find a 43 in Altra perfect wear these with mid weight smartwool socks. Big toe just in front of toe box. Just like walking on springs. Extremely good shock absorbency and very fast drying.

I changed from boots to (Inov8) trail shoes in 2012 for summer walking and would never go back. 3 Challenges without any foot problems whatsoever. Rougher country than the Lakes but still fine for shoes.

Thanks, Ian for your comment. Inov8 Trail Talon 275 GTX - I was looking at these. Any thoughts?

Hi,
I've gone a bit more heavyweight this year Salomon x ultra 3 mid - I've worn Innov8 for a few years, but they've made their lasts wider so they don't suit my narrow feet as well. The roclites are the natural successor to the race ultra 290's I wore last and they're a nice shoe.
Innov8 do use three different lasts so it's worth trying the different ones on if you can find someone who stocks a wide range. Their most cushioned shoes are on the 'standard' last which is the widest.

I wouldn't go for goretex lined shoes - they're going to fill up with water anyway and the goretex stops it getting out. Go for the non-waterproof breathable uppers and you pump the water out quicker as you walk.

It doesn't seem logical, but your feet will be drier and more comfortable in non-waterproof shoes (and if we have a heat wave, they'll be a lot more comfortable)!

Hi Graham. Thanks for the info on Inov8 shoes. Goretex, Out-Dry or similar is great for the cold winter months but not for me in the summer. My hobbit feet get very hot, so ventilation is important. I wear medium-weight merino running socks and non-waterproof trail/approach shoes for most of the Spring, Summer and even into the Autumn. My original concern (at the top of this post) was durability over the terrain and over 2 weeks. It would appear, from all that has been said here that there is nothing to worry about. I think my Meindl Goretex midi-boots, comfortable and light as they are, are staying at home for this trip.

A big thanks to all for your posts and valuable information. Have a great and safe 2018 crossing and I'm sure we'll meet up somewhere on the trail.

I will wear my trusted salomon ultra mid gtx. I would love to find a shoe that fits my feet (and foot problems) as well, but I have yet to find them. So, I'm bringing crocs for river crossings, I don't want them to get wet. As for gtx getting hot, I've walked 1300 kilometers in them in Spain in April and May, so I know what I'm in for.

I wear a very thin Bridgedale wool liner plus a slightly thicker wool sock. In the mornings I apply vaseline and in the evenings some other foot lotion. And Voltaren, never leave home without it! The last couple of years I've only had 2 blisters, both from my custom made insoles...

I tried about 4 different boots/shoes... ended up going with low top Hi-Tech hiking shoes with awesome traction. It was a huge toss up between these and my normal everyday wear, my Ariat Fat Baby boots... They are starting my journey with me, but they will probably stay in Boston on my stop-over there next week.
oh and for my relaxing or water crossings.. i have camo watershoes from Walmart. lol they look pretty cool and are super soft and comfy!

All down to personal preference!