​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How are you all warming up?

Thanks, Dara. Intetestingly, I was looking at the Garmin Inreach while in Patagonia in February as I discovered SPOT had poor coverage there. Will Copestake, who was my kayak guide (and who I have known since he was a wee lad, but didn't know was working there when I booked the trip - small world!) recommended it.

For me, the incident really highlighted the limitations ofthe SPOT. For the last 5 years I have only used the OK and "Ok but running late functions" and hadn't thought much (or talked to my husband) about the circumstances in which I would call for help. The problem I had was the inability to say what I needed, which was transport, not emergency rescue, or to know whether my message was received. Because I have a heart condition, which is registered with the SPOT people, it would be quite likely that a helicopter would be dispatched when all that was actually wrong with me was a sore leg.

So I am about to take out a 2nd mortgage and order the Inreach, safety and peace of mind being more important than money. I am not ready to give up wandering the hills alone and where I live means that I do a lot of that.

Thanks for your good wishes and I hope you enjoy your Challenge as much as I intend to enjoy mine. There is intensive physio taking place between hobbling after lambs (lambing in full swing here).

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury.
I also ordered an Inreach device, but I ended up getting a Delorme instead of a Garmin. Delorme was bought out by Garmin and Garmin is honoring the Delorme devices on their software. The only difference between the two is that the Delorme device has a slightly smaller screen and is $200 cheaper... Might be something for you to consider!!

Thanks for the tip, Katie. That $200 is very appealing!