​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GPS (Satmap Active 10, 12, 20 - Garmin eTrex 10, 20, 30)

I just got a new Garmin InReach which has much improved coverage and capabilities including bidirectional messaging. I will be hiking the CWT after the TGO. As a solo hiker of a certain age it behooves me to have the emergency comms capability. My only need for it is in the case of real emergency or trauma. You cannot put the OS generated route maps into the Garmin which is a pain but they can be put into an iPhone . Beware of some phone GPS apps as they are not always really accurate in my experience so do not trust them for navigating in dangerous terrain. Best is still paper map and compass in my view with GPS as a backup.

Re: GPS (Satmap Active 10, 12, 20 - Garmin eTrex 10, 20, 30)

For me its basically what others have said. I carry map and compass that is my main nav setup. As an aid to that I have a Garmin watch that I can turn on if I need a quick GPS fix - then its GPS is turned off and back to M&C. Its quick and it works for me. We have phones with us - but recently (luckily locally) my viewranger maps became fubarred when using them on a walk. I have also had the frustration of using the phone when it is p1ss1ng down and it not scrolling / zooming etc. So I would not use that as a primary method. It is very difficult for a map to get 'broken'. If I need to scroll I move it left or right, and zooming in and out can be achieved by moving the map nearer or further away. I am thinking of writing a book on advanced navigation methods. :grin:

So they are all backups to my M&C. On top of that I carry an inreach for logging distance, the exact track we take (which I can geotag photos with when we get back) and comms if we absolutely need it anywhere. Comms back to base has been useful in the past when there is no signal. So in summary, we have belt, braces, and Keepy uppies (whatever they are). Oh and big heavy packs. :smile: