​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Avimore Re-Supply

Hi

I will need to re-supply with food in Avimore for the next 3 days. What time do the stores close / open on a Thursday / Friday? I have a long day and will not crawl in until after 5.

What is a good place to re-hydrate with a good ale when I do get there? I am coming from River Duinain / Alit Dubh direction.

Thanks, William

Re: Avimore Re-Supply

A little Googling suggests opening hours at Tesco in Aviemore is 07:00-22:00 unless it's a Sunday, when it would be 08:00-20:00. Licensing laws for the sale of alcohol (from a shop) between 10:00-22:00.
Blacks is 09:00-18:00 and I suspect the (several) other outdoor shops are similar, if you wanted camping food.

Hi William,

You have plenty of choice for outdoor shops in Aviemore.
I can recommend Ellis Brigham and Cairngorm Mountain Sports which both close at 6pm 7 days a week.

There is also Nevisport which close at 5.30pm.
By the time the challenge is underway, the new Tiso Outdoor store should be open- not sure about closing times, but I suspect they will be open until 8pm. The last thing I heard about this new store is that is was opening in spring this year. Passing by last week- still no signs up yet.

For a refreshment- I would try the Cairngorm Hotel in the centre of Aviemore, or if you are heading towrds Coylumbridge via the Old Logging road- you could pop in past The Old Bridge inn on the outskirts as you are leaving Aviemore.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Gavin Scott.

The grocery store is superb. I have booked into the Aviemore BunkHouse for the night of the 17th - Thursday. I stayed there the last time and it was basic but fine. The Old Bridge Pub looks to have a superb evening meal plan and a warm pub. The last time it was full sadly so this time I booked a table for 2 for 7;15pm. If anyone is interested in joining me I would be pleased for the company of course. Just let me know.
For Breakfast many challengers go to the Mountain Cafe.
I plan just to have a half day in Aviemore then a short day to stop in the woods before Lairig Ghru. Dara

Thanks to all for the advice. A good meal will be welcome, and much needed, after many days of dehydrated camp food.
All ready to go now.
William