​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carrying money?

I don't know if it's possible to pay with your card everywhere you go in the Highlands, so is it recommended to carry real money?

In Sweden cash is not king anymore...

Re: Carrying money?

I live in Scotland and although most establishments will accept card payments, there are a few in more remote areas that don't, so I always carry some cash.

Sweden? I didn't know there were two of us =)

Thanks, will be bringing some cash then.

And yes, I don't have the participant list here in front of me but I think it's more like 4-5 Swedes - Viking invasion :)

I would certainly advise carrying some cash (bank notes don't weigh much!) just to be safe. Most places will take cards but some rural shops etc may not.

What about camping grounds? Cash payment for the most part?

It varies I'm afraid, so have cash just in case.

Andre yes we still use money in this country, you will find it impossible not to use it in Scotland they take it off you very quickly and you don't know its gone, have a good challenge,:joy:

I have a B&B booked for Mallaig which is going to be cash only, so I think cash will be king with maybe the exception of the bigger hotels / pubs.

Haha Terry, duly noted!

Very good info Nigel, I haven't booked anything and planning to drop-in if needed.

After a few days in Sweden, I tried an experiment in Scotland of not using cash for a week. It didn't work as we also try to use small shops rather than supermarkets. I would say about 10% of them, still don't accept cards.