​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Printing maps

Hello again...

I'm trying to print maps but have met nothing but frustration. I am apparently in need of the most profound collective wit and experience I can find... but this forum will have to do for now. :smiley:

My detailed route exists on the OS maps website, where I have purchased a premium membership to gain access to the 1:50K and 1:25K maps. The user interface is, well, clunky, but it has worked OK for route planning.

Here's the problem: I can't seem to print satisfactory A4 size maps from the OS maps website. Part of the trouble is in the fact that there is no such thing as true A4 paper here in the US, so nothing quite fits right. 11x17 is close, but I cannot seem to get an entire day's route on one 1:50K 11x17 sheet. I've played with all the options, to no avail.

Is there a better way? Do I need to invest in a different software?

Kent

Re: Printing maps

Kent,
not a direct reply to your question but have you seen this posting?......
http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=757451871&frmid=14&msgid=789242&cmd=show

I had a simular problem even with A4 paper, the only solution I found and the one I oppted for was two print each day across two pages, OS dosent make this simply but its still easy to achieve. Line up first half of walk on screen, set scale 1:50k, Go into print preview check and print then move the map across and the preview shows what will print, print second day. This worked for me although one day took 3 pages.

Hi Kent

A4 is equivalent to 11 x 8.5. I can give you more detailed ideas on how to print if you need it (through my wifes expertise). A simple solution if your printer is big enough is to print out at A4 size on a larger sheet then trim it down. If you can use Toughprint paper which is waterproof and print on both sides of the paper then you will have one normal day on one pocket-sized map sheet.

Willie

Thanks everyone. .. by the way, I meant A3 not A4. I think that's the one closest to 11x17.

Humphrey has helped me out, but I'm always open to other ideas.

Kent

Hi,

What I did, from the UK though, was save my maps as A3 pdf documents, rather than printing, then use an online printing service (I use Doxdirect.com, don't know if in the USA, but there must be others), or find some friendly soul with an A3 printer who can print them off. Doxdirect charged me about ten pounds, postage and packing etc, so totally reasonable in my opinion. Crisp, clear maps, with plenty of surrounding area to use if you're totally lost! If you print on both sider, then you get two days walking on one sheet at 1:50000, dead easy.

Hope this helps

Colin