​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Citylink bus tickets. Any discounts?

Wow! I just logged on to ask basically the same question about timing of purchasing tickets...Glasgow Airport to Dornie for me and around the same price. I didn't know if that was expensive or not coming from the US. I'll look forward to any advice on this thread.

Hi Judith
You can get 20% off Citylink tickets with a Scottish Youth Hostel membership I think. Not much I know, but better than nothing.
See you at Shiel Bridge I hope.

I noticed the same. Train from Aberdeen to Inverness £5 and bus to Shiel Bridge £28. I have now booked train to Kyle of Lochalsh and the will get a local bus for the last wee bit. The train was £15 which seems vey cheap.

Judith,
Have you looked at the train. Tickets on the Friday from Glasgow to Kyle of Lochalsh is about £16 at the moment.

Scott - I looked at going to Shiel Bridge via Kyle of Lochalsh - but I'd have to go via Inverness which adds too much time to my journey. I'd have to go the day/night before, possibly via the sleeper.

Phil, Ray - £39 is reasonable, I suppose, for a 5 hour journey covering 170 miles up the West coast ..... but I only paid £12 in 2012 and I'm trying to work out how I got such a bargain then.

Susan - I might not see you at Shiel Bridge .....unless you're travelling on the Friday, like me! I'm a YHA(E&W) member and I don't think the coach saving is big enough to justify taking out SYHA membership too.

I've worked out that I can save a couple of pounds by buying a ticket from Glasgow to Fort William and then from Fort William to Shiel Bridge, so I think I should stop being such a skinflint and just buy my ticket(s)!

Booked Glasgow to Shiel Bridge via Inverness yesterday for £29.50. Chose this route (and saved money) because I wanted to avoid the 5 hour bus journey. Trains are so much nicer.

Look forward to perhaps seeing you on the bus. We're flying into Glasgow on Thursday morning and need to be in Shiel Bridge Thursday evening. I didn't find any other reasonable options so the 39.70 seemed reasonable given the circumstances. Then again, I've not had the opportunity of purchasing bus tickets in Scotland before either. I'll have to look for discounts on the trip back from Montrose.

I'll lend you my bus pass: Aberdeen to anywhere on the west coast for £0.
Lol.

I wondered how long it would be before a smug, elderly Scot turned up! :face_with_rolling_eyes:

:wink: :smiley:

That's probably why they're so expensive. Someone has to pay for us smuggies!