​​​​​​​

MESSAGE BOARD

THE CHALLENGE COMMUNITY, ON-LINE!

FRIENDLY ASSISTANCE AND ENCOURAGEMENT AVAILABLE FOR CHALLENGERS OLD AND NEW,

FROM FRIENDLY AND ENCOURAGING CHALLENGERS, NEW AND OLD

PLEASE USE YOUR OWN NAME WHEN POSTING. THANK YOU!

Download route sheets, admin forms, event documents here

Any queries? Email the coordinators  Sue, Ali & Mick at tgochallenge@gmail.com 

The TGO Challenge Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rail tickets

Expert train fare peeps: it seems to cost £33.40 for 2 geriatrics with railcards from Glasgow to Taynuilt (Oban). Any idea if that's the cheapest it's likely to go, because it's now 12 weeks off when they should be releasing cheapest fares, so I'm wondering what's going on! I did sign up for cheap fare alerts but nothing yet.:thinking_face:

Re: Rail tickets

Hard to say, its one of those things, do you or don't you. Never booked that journey before, does it go higher than that?

Just booked from the Tyne Valley up to FW for total of £37.60 and return journey from east coast for £26.50 all through the virgin website ( hope they don't drop out of the franchise!)

Marion

I just ran Glasgow Queen Street to Taynuilt 10/05/18 at 12:21 - 15:04 with a railcard through the TrainSplit.com site, it could only save £0.27 from each ticket.

Maybe someone else has another site to find combination tickets offering acheaper price

Regards

Thanks chaps, it isn't a bad price anyway, but I will wait another day or two before booking in case the price suddenly drops.
On another tack - having trouble getting my picture back!

You need Judith for the avatar tips. Try this link (sorry, still can't do clicky links 😂)
http://pub9.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=757451871&frmid=14&msgid=792565&cmd=show

Here we go - screenshot from Virgin Trains East Coast at 19:35 this evening.

Bizarre tho' it may appear, you're going to get the best deal buy buying two individual tickets. One for you. One for Mike. This will save you a couple of pounds. Which you can use to buy me a pint in Montrose . . .

But be quick! The price isn't going to drop. It's going to increase, 'cos there's only a very limited number of these rock-bottom tix. For example, at 06:00 this morning I bought Edinburgh > Inverness > Strathcarron for the princely sum of £6.60. This evening I'd've paid £12.25 . . .

Thanks Humphrey, that worked okay, I just hope they let us off okay at Taynuilt instead of continuing to Oban, because we are dropping off some supplies there to have a light walk on Day 1. If there's a problem, I suppose we go to Oban then pay to stay on the train back to Taynuilt or something! Anyway, well done for finding the cheap tickets, you're a star! :heart_eyes:

Unfortunately there seems to be a system against offering discounted tickets solely for travel on the West Highland line, possibly because it would detract from all the tourist fares revenue. Oddly I did manage by chance, to find cheap tickets to Mallaig a few years ago from Newcastle but not Morar; needless to say as there was about £20 difference,I bought the ticket to Mallaig and hoped out 1 stop early!

FYI Using Trainline app today, I bought Glasgow - Mallaig for £23.80 (normal price £35).Had I been happy to arrive at 23.35 it would have been £5.00! Today is the day! :wink:

Bought tickets yesterday from Harrogate to Oban for 10 May. By splitting, Harrogate to Glasgow was £12.50 with senior card for an 'advance single', but 12.21 Glasgow to Oban with senior card only had 'anytime single' at £16.70. I doubt either price will improve nor an advance ticket become available on the second element. Oddly I couldn't reserve a seat on the West Highland section but then I was using the excellent Virgin East Coast website. Tickets arrived this morning though.

Scotrail Glasgow to Fort William came down from £52 to £18.50 yesterday.

Rail tickets

Have just purchased online (with senior railcard) through raileasy.co.uk a single ticket from Chesterfield to Edinburgh for £26.25 (including seat selection) plus ticket for Edinburgh to Inverness the following day for £3.30 (no seat selection). Total cost, including booking fee and ticket delivery by first class post £33.55.

Two First Class tickets Glasgow to Inverness for £20.00...standard tickets £16.60 for two....WIN! :grinning: